Recycling old seat cover - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2007, 06:13 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Recycling old seat cover

I'm in the process of building a traditional '27 modified. This might sound a little strange, but I'd like some feed back from someone in the field. I was thinking about the interior today. What do you think about using the stock rear seat cover from a '56 Merc to cover my seat in the modified? The car is being built with a mid '50's theme, hence the vintage threads. In high school, my buddy had a '56 Montclair, loved those leather / vinyl seats

Youngster

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2007, 11:30 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I was out standing in my "field" this morning.

I have no direct experience with what you are asking but I have seen old leather furniture material used to give a distressed look to an interior. I would think there is no reason you can't do what you are thinking.

Go for it, I think it is a great idea!!
Old 09-16-2007, 06:09 AM

Last photo:

re:Recycling o;d seat covers

Yeah...something about the crisp morning air...I just came in from watering the horses!!!!!
Old 09-16-2007, 08:19 AM

Last journal entry: The Chevy Bench Seat - Part 52
Last photo:

Let me preface this by saying that I'm just getting started in automotive upholstery, so I'm in no way, shape, or form an expert at it. I'm not a stranger to it though. It's been my experience with most things automotive that you can do just about anything you want to do if you have a big enough hammer - assuming you can find all of the parts needed to do what you want to do.

It would seem to me that the hardest part of your proposed project would be finding a stock seat cover from a '56 Merc in good enough condition to be used for recycling - unless you're talking about using a reproduction seat cover.

Why not do a bit of research and find out what kind of material was used on the Merc's seats, then try to locate some of that to do your interior? A good trimmer could use photos of a '56 Merc's seats, then design you an interior based on that style, but one that will fit your seat(s) without having to try to force things to fit your seat's contours. (Kind of like trying to make one of Paris Hilton's dresses fit Rosie O'Donnell.) Sorry to gross you out so early in the morning with that mental image, but you get the idea...
Old 09-20-2007, 02:58 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Are you talking about taking an old seat cover and modifying it to fit whatever seat you're going to put in the car? If so, I can tell you that taking something old apart and trying to recycle, replace, or repair any part of it creates a huge problem, especially if you are trying to add new parts to the old seat cover. Find New Old Stock that matches what you remember and recreate an old-looking new seat cover.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:39 PM

Last photo:

re:Recycling old seat covers

Thanks for the input. Dan...do you know if it's possible to find material that is distressed. What I'm after is the the fading and wrinkling that would be there after 50 years.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:50 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Possibly mist it with bleach water and put it in a tarp and run ovver it with a truck on a gravel road wad it up wet it and tie it and let it dry.
Shane
Old 09-21-2007, 07:20 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngster
Thanks for the input. Dan...do you know if it's possible to find material that is distressed. What I'm after is the the fading and wrinkling that would be there after 50 years.
I understand what you're trying to do, and I think it would look great, but you have the opposite problem of most people! Everyone else wants to make the old look new. Distressed leather is available, but I doubt it would be available to match the color of an old seat. Distressing fabric, other than just natural old age, is next to impossible without ruining the fabric. If I was going to try to distress fabric, I would first of all not put bleach of any kind on it. That would be too hard to control any potential damage to the surface, but especially to the backing of the fabric. I would wash it in Woolite in a washing machine on the gentle cycle 5 or 6 times. Even then, the potential for destroying the backing on the fabric would be very high.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:31 AM

Last photo:

re:Recycling old seat covers

Thanks for the input DanTwoLakes. Following the 50 year old theme for my car is harder than I thought it would be. I just don't want to use the blanket covered seats like everyone else. Being that it's a open car I would guess even new material is going to age quickly. The interior colors I would like to use are either cream and red, or cream and green. Only the seats are going to be covered. I'm planning on doing the frame and running gear in black and the body in red oxide primer. The engine and spoke Ford wheels in red or green. Thanks again, Youngster.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:51 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Good luck with your project, it sounds like it will be a lot of fun!

Old 09-21-2007, 12:54 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I gather that you are not interested in using new material because you are trying to build a just found "barn car" hot rod not a "new" traditional hot rod and therefore new material would defeat the purpose.

You might try looking for some old curtains at estate sales or old building auctions. If they come from high end properties that material would have been kept in good condition over the years but give you the look you are after.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.