Red Oxide Primer - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2005, 03:25 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Red Oxide Primer

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows if red oxide primer will do anything bad to wood?TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2005, 04:04 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

No. The red is iron oxide (rust) which is not a problem for wood. The only possible problem would come in with the solvents and carriers in the paint and even then I can't think of anything that wood wouldn't like.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:32 PM

Last photo:

i agree with willys. solvent base paints dont have any effect on wood. been finishing cabinetry for years with it and works great.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:38 PM

Last photo:

Works great on my barn walls..
Old 01-04-2005, 09:41 PM

Last photo:

Awesome, because I am building a snare drum and I am thinking of doing that color on it. Thank You Alll.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:30 PM

Last photo:

interesting.....i dont think we have too any people on the forum building musical insturments.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:20 PM

Last photo:

Does that stuff work on cars? Everyone is doing the oldschool flat black look, I'm wondering what the red oxide would look like?
Old 01-05-2005, 10:47 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by 55ford
Awesome, because I am building a snare drum and I am thinking of doing that color on it. Thank You Alll.
Post it here when you get it done. A buddy of mine has made a number of kits check out his site (click here) . I know he has painted a few, in fact, as I remember I painted a set for him come to think of it. It was a blinding indigo blue color.

Why just a snare? Rockabilly are you?
Old 01-05-2005, 10:53 PM

Last photo:

Nope, not that i mind rockabilly music, just starting with a snare for now, hopefully a tom soon, and I will be sure to post a pic of it here when done.

Mollard, here is a link to a car done in red iron oxide primer, it is from american hot rod fansite.

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/am...rip2_hzoom.jpg

edit: checked out that site, it is awesome, favorited it.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:14 AM

Last photo:

can't believe I'm answering this post......

55 Ford, red oxide primer on wood alone will scratch very easy, you need to topcoat it or :
(better!) use red oxide (red mahogany) colored wood stain,
you can mix stain colors (black walnut for darker example) to get the color and shade you want
save all your scrap from building the snare so you can test for results with the stain or primer scratch problem
buy the small can(s), takes about 1/2 oz of stain or primer for a drum
want "flat" finish, top coat with clear and sand with 1,000 grit
Old 01-06-2005, 05:55 AM

Last photo:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by red65mustang
[B]can't believe I'm answering this post......

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
This is getting to be big business, as far as furniture makers using automotive finishes.
For years some have used lacquer and some air dried stains and air dried polyurethane varnish.
Now your seeing house of color and base clear.

I sell two custom builders and here is their procedure.
Coat of epoxy (stop the soaking of primer), 2 coats (sometimes 6-8) of 2k primer (this person blocks her wood straight) and than the color with 3 coats of HS clear. 600 wet the next day and 3 more coats. It is than wet sanded and buffed better than any body shop would do.
$50,000 just for kitchen cabinets (Black) no counter top, no installation, just the cabinets!
My other builder is doing a bar $30,000. He stained the oak and let it set over night and now has 12 coats of polyurethane clear over a four day period wet sanding between applications. Talked to him last week and they have been buffing for two days.
As far as coatings on wood pretend its a car and use same procedure.
Yes automotive clear can be sprayed over the wood stains if they set over night first.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:48 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

My wife and I are partners in a project to restore a 100 year-old Victorian cottage to a meetings/wedding/restaurant venue. We worked on it full spare time for over a year (what a burden!) but it is a jewel of a show place now. As you might expect the mill-work in the interior is magnificent. It is all paint grade clear vertical grain douglas fir, not a stainable variety so it had to be painted. Rather than using the crappy water based enamels that don't have any gloss and are impossible to lay on smoothly or the oil based ones that never dry and yellow in a year or so, I sprayed automotive single stage catalyzed urethane white. Incredible shine, color retention and will out-live the house.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:00 AM

Last photo:

here is a pic of the interior on one of the boats i used to build. all the woodwork is finished in urethane clear and then wetsanded and buffed. it was actually 3 step process. first coat was a very low solids clear with a dye in it for the color then a transparent polyester primer filler was applied to fill the grain then sanded smooth then a urethane clearcoat and of course the wetsand bufff. looks nice and durable but shows every fingerprint so i think its a little impractical, especially for a boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sportcruiser2.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	3557  
Old 01-06-2005, 08:14 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Being wood is not my thing I have a front door that has been sitting in my garage for about five years, maybe this is the way to go?

This door came from my grandfathers house built in 1928. I have pictures of my dad walking thru it on his way to overseas in WWII. I climbed the fence and swiped it off the house before the bulldozer knocked it down.

Anyway, I had some repair work done on it and the guy stained it (without me asking) he then promptly quit and I don't know what he put on. Well, I know it wasn't the right stuff for the project because after I coated it with Varathane the Varathane just peeled off like I applied it to wax or something.

I assume I am going to need to take Jasco or something to it and start all over. Anyone have any ideas? After reading some responses here I am thinking strip it, stain it and apply some urethane or polyurethane clear of the automotive variety.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:52 AM

Last photo:

this will be fun

Barry, good point, if you don't seal the wood with epoxy first, do allow atleast a day between coats cause the wood soaks up the solvents like a sponge and drys like a sponge....slow

willys36, bet it looks great, and when you do the exterior trim use a coat of auto urathane clear for UV protection. anytime you use auto paint on wood, leave one side "unsealed", wood has to breath or it will rot

mrclean, try some nu-finish auto polish, less prints and lasts

(side note: want a gorgeous surface on any varnished-stained wood table/chest/etc. use some Mother's on it. got a dull finish, use Maguir's cleaner wax)

martinsr, he stained it then rubbed it with linseed oil, that's why the urathane didn't stick. Do you know what wood the door is made from? There are several methods to re-finish it depending on the wood

I knew I never should have answered this thread.....credentials: learned from my grandad who was a master furniture builder, learned enough to work my way thru college re-finishing yachts!

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.