Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   red scuff pad trick for newbes (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/red-scuff-pad-trick-newbes-220975.html)

swvalcon 06-25-2012 12:24 PM

red scuff pad trick for newbes

4 Attachment(s)
I'am sure all the pro's on here has done this with a scuff pad but thought maybe some of the newbie's may not of tried it. Have you tried to scuff the underside of a new hood or trunk and cussed at how beat up your hands where when done? Well take two or three red scuff pads. Cut them in two pieces. Then install them on a 1/4" long bolt with some flat washers off setting each pad a little as you put it on the bolt. then lock it down with a double nut and lock washer. Now install into your air drill and your set to go. You can scuff until your hearts content and no more beat up fingers.

Jimbo17 06-25-2012 08:30 PM

Neat Trick!!!!!!!!!!

Sure beats the old way of killing your fingers.

Many thanks Jimbo

Arrowhead 06-26-2012 07:48 AM

That's an AWESOME tip! Thanks for sharing!

cyclopsblown34 06-26-2012 12:45 PM

Excellent idea. Thanks a bunch! I thought I was onto something using them with my D/A with hook n loop fasteners.

S10 Racer 06-26-2012 12:59 PM

Great idea. I use to work in a body shop back in the 80's and we used a trick to help remove the paint down in the bottom of a crease. We would cut old sanding disks in the shape of a stop sign. The points that were left would reach down in the crease.

swvalcon 06-26-2012 02:23 PM

Thats a old body guy trick. If you take your old grinder disks and cut them into a star shape one size smaller and use a smaller backup pad behind it. Not only do they grind better they don't run as hot. You use to be able to buy a bench top cutter that would cut them down that way.

S10 Racer 06-26-2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swvalcon
Thats a old body guy trick. If you take your old grinder disks and cut them into a star shape one size smaller and use a smaller backup pad behind it. Not only do they grind better they don't run as hot. You use to be able to buy a bench top cutter that would cut them down that way.

Yeah, you're right, a star shape, not stop sign. We had the cutter but we usually just used tin snips to cut the disk and took a guess at it.

swvalcon 06-27-2012 04:46 PM

Another little trick is if you get some adhesive on a fresh paint job like weatherstrip adhesive and you can't remove it with anything because your afraid it'll take off the paint. Take a soft rag and wet a little of it with w-d then rub the glue with it and it will take off the glue without hurting the paint.