Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Redneck Hillbilly Ride
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2008, 09:11 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Redneck Hillbilly Ride

Ranchero and ElCaminos were marketed to mobile auto service businesses, service stations, handymen, and others.

This was primarily to keep those damn ugly work trucks from invading neighborhoods in an era when trucks were just not accepted in driveways.

In the 60s they became popular with ranchers in the south for their ride over long distances (think Texas) and their versatility. On the west coast, they made excellent tow vehicles that doubled as a second car that "SHE" would not be ashamed to drive----surfboard haulers----cars to drag racing with that had dlower insurance rates than their 6-passenger sister car.

Rides like a car and will still carry a 1/2 ton of cargo---altho not as surely as the full size truck.

I like 'em----have 2----
the 59 with a 454HO and a Tremec is by no means a "lesbian" car, doubt if it can even be called a girlie truck.

the 66 could fall into the girlie thing tho---as it is my intent to power it with a 307--but the 5-spd should at least step it up to "dork" class

Another upside to the Elky/Ranchero----cannot be forced to carry more than one person at any given time (2 with a bench). ---- Easier and faster to clean out----easier and faster to hide stuff behind the seat. -- Excellent for hauling stuff that is too big for the T-Bird but not big enough for a so called real truck. And yes, I have a couple of real pick-ups as well.

Car?????, Truck??????, ----- Who Cares?????

79 C-10
64 C-10
82 D-150
05 Ranger XLT
59 ElCamino----see my avatar-----has TRUCK license plates
66 ElCamino

And all but the 66 are runners---the 66 is being reconstructed.