Redneck Hillbilly Ride - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2008, 09:51 PM
Dried up in the Drought! :(

Last wiki edit: Pre-1980 VIN decoding
Last journal entry: 1978 Chevy pickup battery tray repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 409

Redneck Hillbilly Ride

My kids tell me an El Camino is a redneck hillbilly ride. What is your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2008, 10:00 PM
36 Chevy Low Cab

Last journal entry: C4 IRS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashFarmer2
LOL's. Your alright!!!

I'm not even going to start any arguments! LOL's. One of my favorite cars...or is that trucks... 65 El Camino. Love that year. But I'm an Ozark Mountain Hillbilly so probably not a good one to judge. LOL's.

I think they were originally created for businessmen that needed some bed space. If memory serves me.....I've even seen a 36 Chevrolet Car that had a factory bed option in place of the trunk.....a sort of car/truck.

Can anyone explain it better? Surely someone knows why and when they were built.

I personally like them.

Dave
Old 09-20-2008, 11:26 PM
can i borrow 50 bucks?

Last photo:

I seem to recall some old timers saying ElCaminos were lesbian cars.. not a car.. not a truck..
Old 09-21-2008, 12:06 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Did they say that as if it were a bad thing?

If the things had a reasonably-sized lockable trunk-oid compartment for tools, etc., I'd have one in a heartbeat. Ain't nothin better for scavenging trash piles on a Saturday afternoon.

'Course my Mom's from Arkansas, so they may be on to something.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:23 AM
Blowin' it

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Running again...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

El Caminos are great! They are not lesbians, they are not cars, they are not trucks...They are El Caminos and stand in their own category. They look good stock and as hot rods.

Jason
Old 09-21-2008, 07:02 AM
36 Chevy Low Cab

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buick Special
I seem to recall some old timers saying ElCaminos were lesbian cars.. not a car.. not a truck..
LOL's.

All jokes aside....tell them about the big block fire breathing dragon version of the Camino's. The SS's.

Had a friend with a 65 that was nearly untouchable on the straights. Man that thing would dig off of the line. Of coarse.....he had half filled the end gate with concrete for better weight transfer. IMO it was one of the pertiest cars in the area. And fast.

Dave

Last edited by Stovebolter; 09-21-2008 at 07:07 AM.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:04 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Just to set the record straight, I am a proud redneck hillbilly and can throw rocks all day. Crash, ask your kids for a definition of "Redneck Hillbilly" so we can send a few stones their way. Now as far as El Camino's go, I have never owned one, but have spent many miles in the passenger seat and a few behind the wheel, with a couple of dog boxes in the back traveling from field to field hunting quail and pheasant. As long as the weather is good, this is a luxury ride. The 72 SB 400 was a pretty good grocery getter and bass boat towing rig. The 65 396 was a fun ride as well. One of my redneck Bud's 78 is a sleeper with a 94 Vette motor professionally installed under the hood.

Stovebolter, the 36 Chevy you are referring to was not a US made vehicle. We can thank the Aussies for the "Ute". They are really neat vehicles and were way ahead of our 64-78 El Caminos and Rancheros that sort of copied them.

Trees
Old 09-21-2008, 08:06 AM
36 Chevy Low Cab

Last photo:

Quote:

Anyone should be proud to know a hillbilly or redneck. I think somewhere along the way the stereotype as lost its actual definition. The term "Redneck" comes from different sources over the ages. It dates as far back as the Scottish/Irish immigration to America. It was a nick of sorts for a proud, hard working group of people with a history of overcoming insurmountable odds and enduring poverty and famine. Also, has roots to the American coal miners in West Virginia. They would wear a red bandana to help keep the coal dust out. Ever heard of "black lung"? I am very proud of my Scottish/Irish heritage. Sounds to me like a proud, hard working group of people that helped make this country great. And this leads me to the term "Hillbilly". This term, also Scottish/Irish, is said to originate in Ireland as a definition of King William protesant supporters within the land acquisition and retention for King William. William a.k.a 'Billie" . So really...if you call some Rednecks a Hillbilly....and viceversa.....it just might be an insult. Another definition came from The New York Journal....defining once again....Scottish/Irish immigrants to the Alabama region....as a laid back dont give a dang kind of people. You know what....I'll take them any day. I use to want to get away from the Ozarks....but once away.....I wanted to come back home. Now I'm here to stay! So once again....sound like a proud group of people....hard working American's now. Proud to be both! Oh....and I'm not insulted..... Just giving a little history lesson. I heard my uncle for soo many years trash talking hillbillies/rednecks.....so in school I made it one of my term papers to define the two. In the process of research....I had to let poor uncle down a bit....and let him know he too was a redneck/hillbilly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trees
Just to set the record straight, I am a proud redneck hillbilly and can throw rocks all day. Crash, ask your kids for a definition of "Redneck Hillbilly" so we can send a few stones their way. Now as far as El Camino's go, I have never owned one, but have spent many miles in the passenger seat and a few behind the wheel, with a couple of dog boxes in the back traveling from field to field hunting quail and pheasant. As long as the weather is good, this is a luxury ride. The 72 SB 400 was a pretty good grocery getter and bass boat towing rig. The 65 396 was a fun ride as well. One of my redneck Bud's 78 is a sleeper with a 94 Vette motor professionally installed under the hood.

Stovebolter, the 36 Chevy you are referring to was not a US made vehicle. We can thank the Aussies for the "Ute". They are really neat vehicles and were way ahead of our 64-78 El Caminos and Rancheros that sort of copied them.

Trees
Yes Trees....they did look neat....and versitile. I had an old advertisement that I found in the attic of my first home. Seems the fella before me had a real interest in them. I'll try to find it, scan it, a post it here.

Dave
Old 09-21-2008, 08:55 AM
Dried up in the Drought! :(

Last wiki edit: Pre-1980 VIN decoding
Last journal entry: 1978 Chevy pickup battery tray repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 409

Quote:
Originally Posted by trees

Trees
My son told me the story last night about how he started calling them a redneck hillbilly ride. He was hanging out with a friend of his from town, somebody drove by in an El Camino and the friend called it a redneck hillbilly ride. Of course my daughter has picked up on that. She went to the auction with me yesterday and she told me she was going to save me from buying the redneck hillbilly ride. She didn't accomplish that mission. So my son told it in good humor and my daughter took it seriously since she looks up to her big brother.

My son was kind of excited about it when he got home from work last night and pulled in the driveway behind it. He came in the house and the first words out of his mouth was you bought the El Camino dad! I asked him if he would drive it and he said sure. So I assume he would be happy to join the redneck hillbilly El Camino driving crowd and my daughter will come around.

I read somewhere that the Ute's popularity in Australia came about because the farmers and ranchers wanted to buy cars but the bank wouldn't loan the money for what the bankers considered an unneeded luxury item. The bankers would loan the money for a Ute since it could be seen as a necessity. It sounded like a reasonable explanation to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stovebolter
Anyone should be proud to know a hillbilly or redneck. I think somewhere along the way the stereotype as lost its actual definition. The term "Redneck" comes from different sources over the ages. It dates as far back as the Scottish/Irish immigration to America. It was a nick of sorts for a proud, hard working group of people with a history of overcoming insurmountable odds and enduring poverty and famine. Also, has roots to the American coal miners in West Virginia. They would wear a red bandana to help keep the coal dust out. Ever heard of "black lung"? I am very proud of my Scottish/Irish heritage. Sounds to me like a proud, hard working group of people that helped make this country great. And this leads me to the term "Hillbilly". This term, also Scottish/Irish, is said to originate in Ireland as a definition of King William protesant supporters within the land acquisition and retention for King William. William a.k.a 'Billie" . So really...if you call some Rednecks a Hillbilly....and viceversa.....it just might be an insult. Another definition came from The New York Journal....defining once again....Scottish/Irish immigrants to the Alabama region....as a laid back dont give a dang kind of people. You know what....I'll take them any day. I use to want to get away from the Ozarks....but once away.....I wanted to come back home. Now I'm here to stay! So once again....sound like a proud group of people....hard working American's now. Proud to be both! Oh....and I'm not insulted..... Just giving a little history lesson. I heard my uncle for soo many years trash talking hillbillies/rednecks.....so in school I made it one of my term papers to define the two. In the process of research....I had to let poor uncle down a bit....and let him know he too was a redneck/hillbilly.

Dave
A very interesting explanation of these terms. I'll bet your uncle was a little put out.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:22 AM
36 Chevy Low Cab

Last photo:

A very interesting explanation of these terms. I'll bet your uncle was a little put out.[/QUOTE]

LOL's. He was. He's been making 300K+ for the last 10 years...working government contracts for Boeing. Guess he thinks that makes him too important for his roots. LOL's. At least now when he visits....he's a little more respectfull of the people that sit around me.

Dave
Old 09-21-2008, 01:53 PM
Lost in the 50s!

Last journal entry: time to start body work
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41willys
....They are El Caminos and stand in their own category........
Not quite...Ford made the ranchero back then as well.

The 72 ranchero GT looked pretty good. I did not like the older falcon based ones.

If you look at some of the Australian vehicles...there are quite a few that are car front with a small truck bed.

Pontiac is going to (maybe) release one in this country now:

Pontiac truck to wear G8 ST badge

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...8/newsletter01
Old 09-21-2008, 03:05 PM
Blowin' it

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Running again...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

That was not my point. I was saying that El Caminos are in there own category, whether it be the lesser liked Ranchero, or whatever the make.

Personally, the Ranchero to me was never attractive, but again, that is just me.

Jason
Old 09-21-2008, 03:47 PM
Lost in the 50s!

Last journal entry: time to start body work
Last photo:

I have never been fond of any of them.

Just not my taste at all.

If I had to given one and had to drive it...the 72 ranchero GT would be my choice.

I am slightly prejudice though. I drove a 72 grant torino sport back in high school. Same body from the rear of the doors forward and same drivetrain. In fact...mine had a lot of 72 ranchero GT parts on it.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:17 PM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41willys
El Caminos are great! They are not lesbians, they are not cars, they are not trucks...They are El Caminos and stand in their own category. They look good stock and as hot rods.

Jason
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said
Old 09-23-2008, 07:40 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stovebolter
.........I've even seen a 36 Chevrolet Car that had a factory bed option in place of the trunk.....a sort of car/truck.

Can anyone explain it better? Surely someone knows why and when they were built.

I personally like them.

Dave

Like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Farm Truck.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	32804  

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.