Hot Rod Forum banner

Redoing pipes. Need opinions??

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  eloc431962 
#1 ·
Hey All.

Ditching the 1 3/4 inch pipes due to small sizing.

Going to run a 3 inch pipe from the header into a 40 series 3 inch in n
out straight thru flowmaster muffler back about 55-60 inches.

Then drop it dwn to a 2.5 inch for about 6 inches, then run it into 4-2 inch pipes at a 90 bend and out n up like a set of zoomies.

Thats 8 inches of exit pipes and only a few inches of pipe @ 2.5 inches.

Think that will flow good enuff? Tnx, HG :D

#7 ·
DoubleVision said:
It should work fine. Smaller tail pipes are acceptable as exhaust gases cool greatly as they travel down the pipe. A smaller tail pipe helps them to exit quicker as less expansion due to the cooler exhaust tempature.
im gonna be runnig 2 1/2 pipe thru 2 1/2 mufflers on my s10 back to the front of the rear axle and then turn them down. i could run them on out the back if i went down to 2 inch pipe from there. do you think that would be far enough to run the 2 1/2 pipe before downsizing?

#8 ·
we run pipes that way all the time.2.5 or 3in back as far as we can then down size.due to not enough room at the rearend. to make some bends with the bigger pipes over the rearend sometimes will smash the pipe so its a waste so go as big as you can which tailpipes its usually 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 in .if the room is there. cole

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.