reducing pictures - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hot Rod Art
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2005, 08:10 PM

Last journal entry: And then this happened...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

reducing pictures

I'm not that good on a computer. I've been trying to reduce a picture of my El Camino to use here, and I aint having much luck. Once I got the size right, it still had too many bytes. All the photos I have would qualify as "before" pictures. The word "patina" comes to mind. I've stumbled through the photo editor program, but I can't get it to fit. Any ideas?
Ronny

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2005, 08:24 PM
I am the Antirice

Last photo:

What operating system are you using? Windows I'm assumming, but which one? XP? 2k? 98?
Old 09-15-2005, 10:12 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

email them to me (there should be a little pic, usually a paperclip or something) that allows you to attatch pictures to emails. I'll downsize them and send them back. My email address should be at the bottom of my post here, (little oval with 'email' in it). If not, click on my username and under contact info click send an email to ChevelleSS_LS6

also, welcome to the forums, if you need help aorund the site, they have a place for that here http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/site-suggestions-help/ (click on yellow text).
-matt
Old 09-16-2005, 12:42 AM

Last photo:

I think www.photobucket.com (a hosting site) automatically sizes pictures for message board use.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:14 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Save the pic as a jpg. instead of a bitmap (bmp) To do this open the picture in Microsoft Paint, then "file", "Save As", and change the extension at the bottom to "jpg". This will reduce the bytes considerabely.

Kevin
Old 09-25-2005, 01:43 PM

Last journal entry: And then this happened...
Last photo:

pictures

My computer runs XP. I went to photobucket, registered, loaded the picture, and it's still too big to move here. It was already in the jpg. format before I took it to photobucket.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:05 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Yep the forum Site Suggestions and Help is where this needs to be ...There is a thread there now on this same subject and here is what Jon had to say about it . Quote from Jon: There are several different systems in place for the board, photo album, etc. that watch for extra-large pics before posting them on the site.

Can you show me the pic? Either send it by email to jon@hotrodders.com, or try to post a link to it if it's on the web.

Also, are you trying to upload it to a board discussion? Photo album? Let me know.

Either way, the picture will have to be shrunk down to size. This is a fairly basic task if you're familiar with a graphic editing program. If not, if you can point me to the pic, I can take care of it.
Old 09-25-2005, 05:30 PM
oldsmobile compatible

Last wiki edit: Selling your car Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

I reduce them using microsoft paint, the basic little program that comes with windows.

Open Paint
Load the picture you want to use
Click on the "Image" menu
Click on "Stretch/Skew"
In the stretch section, put a number between 50 and 75 % for both horizontal and vertical
Click OK
Save as a different file name so as not to affect your original, and also on the "Save as" window, make sure the "Save as type:" (on the very bottom) is JPEG instead of "24-bit Bitmap".

Hope this helps

Paul.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:51 AM

Last photo:

other than changing it to a jpg. you need to make sure the resolution is set at 72dpi. anything over that is useless since a monitor only displays that.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:47 AM
GM Muscle

Last photo:

Microsoft has a free download which is part of their powertoys suite.

Its called image resizer. You can download it hear. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

When installed you just RIGHT CLICK on your picture and select resize pictures. It gives you the option of a few common sizes. It creates a copy of that image in the same directory as the original. You can do one or hundreds at once. Big time saver.

Rich
Old 09-26-2005, 10:32 AM

Last wiki edit: How to document your project
Last journal entry: 1949 Olds -- Rotisserie, pt. 9
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I've seen a lot of JPEG images lately that are huge in filesize for the image size. Apparently MS's resizer is too dumb to realize that JPEGs are compressible. Several times I've downloaded these images and found that no compression was used. The file size was 2 to 3 times larger than needed for the image. This is significant when you have a page with several 300K images that could just as easily be 100K to 150K each.

The lossy JPEG format was developed by pros for the specific needs of photos rather than technical drawings. For the latter, you need a lossless format such as PNG. It is extremely rare that you need to do lossless compression on a photo that is being reduced for display on a monitor.

I suggest you install Image Magick ( self installing binary -- http://www.imagemagick.org/download/...indows-dll.exe ) and use it. See http://studio.imagemagick.org/script...line-tools.php

If resizing an image by typing 'mogrify -geometry 800x800 copyphoto.jpg' is too stark for you, try gimp ( http://www.gimp.org ).
Old 01-15-2006, 09:40 AM

Here's what I use:

http://www.dvdsmiles.com/?Content=ConvertImage

Recent Hot Rod Art posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.