Reducing water from compressed air for painting - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2011, 01:03 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Reducing water from compressed air for painting

I know this has been gone through before but I couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for. I am getting ready to run my lines for my shop air and I'm trying to figure out what filters I should use to reduce the largest amount of moisture without going for an air dryer or refrigeration unit. I plan on plumbing the system to have plenty of ball valves to release pooled water; I am really just trying to figure out what types of filters to use. I have heard of using different filters in series but I'm really not too sure which to put where. I will be doing a bit of media blasting and maybe some painting but most likely nothing major. I have a good pipe system mapped out to reduce the max amount of moisture before it ever reaches a filter. I can upload an image of the pipes at a later time I just don't have that file on this computer. So what are you using? Does it work well? Any info would be appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2011, 01:41 PM

Last photo:

This is what I do. I use this extra tank.

I run regulated air at about 40 PSI, through the red hose, and the filter into the tank. Any water after the filter goes to the bottom of the tank and stays there. I take clean air out of the fitting with the blue hose.

Using the compressor mounted regulator allows the air to expand and cool before entering the compressor end of the red hose. This lets some of the water vapor to condense out in the red hose, so the water trap can catch it. No water trap will stop water vapor in hot air, and when the air cools water will condense out of the compressed air.

This is my old Sears 3 HP compressor.

By using the dump tank, it is possible to paint with this LPHV gun. The compressor cycles on and off when painting, and so far, the compressor actually spends more time off than on. But I have only painted smaller parts, and single panels so far.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:15 AM

That's a really good idea, thanks!

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.