Regear or replace? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2009, 02:11 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Regear or replace?

1952 3600 finally underway. Bed is removed and I would like to get the rear end ready for high speed. The original rear end looks to be in good shape. Should I regear the original and swap for disc brakes or should I look for a later rear end to swap in? This rear end will eventually be driven by a vortec 4200 w/manual tranny. Any suggestions? Thanks.

-Greg

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2009, 03:02 PM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakums_GT
1952 3600 finally underway. Bed is removed and I would like to get the rear end ready for high speed. The original rear end looks to be in good shape. Should I regear the original and swap for disc brakes or should I look for a later rear end to swap in? This rear end will eventually be driven by a vortec 4200 w/manual tranny. Any suggestions? Thanks.

-Greg
Finding the parts for a diff that old may be a little spendy and hard to find. If it was me, I would change to something later model.You would have alot more ratio option's and parts will be easier to buy.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:52 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Crakums;

As I recall the 3600 series truck is a 3/4 ton .

In one of your posts on a different forum you mention a mustang II front suspension.

The rear differential would be an 8 lug if the truck is a 3600 series?

So , is the plan for mustang II front and 8 lug rear diff?
Old 06-27-2009, 05:59 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

My recollection from my father in law's '62 Chebbie 3/4 tonner is that those rear gears are some where close to 5.0 (5.13 sticks in my mind). Not exactly a good gas mileage/road gear with an engine running at full scream at 65 mph. A good 9" with some reasonable ratio - they start at something like 2.33 and with many increments to a 7.5 circle track ratio. With a .62 OD transmission, 3.70 to 4.10 make good cruisers.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:20 PM

Thank you. Yes it is an 8 lug rear end. I was going to start looking into a conversion though. I think it will be more cost effective to start cruising junk yards for a newer rear. Anybody know of a bolt up rear to fit the 52 3/4 ton? If not what is a good rear end to go with that would include minimal modification? This is all learning for me since this is my first build. Thanks for the previous info. I feel like I'm finally getting somewhere. Also the answer to your question Crosley, I would like to find rear discs to match the MII front if that is possible.

-Greg
Old 06-28-2009, 07:03 AM

Last photo:

If it is leaf spring a Ford explorer rear might be an option available here with 4.10 and posi for $100.00 at junkyards with disc brakes complete.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:48 PM

I will definitely look into that. I'm going to measure everything out tomorrow so I can start hunting something down. I heard also that Colorado's have a nice rear end that should fit well if I can ge a hold of one. Not sure if that's true or not. Definitely measuring before looking lol. Thanks again guys.

-Greg

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.