Registration - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2008, 09:09 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Registration

Hi everyone. Anybody got a line on a 1940 chevy 4 door sedan? I live in upstate NY, went down to Long Island to pick up this car, (I had put a deposit on it a 2 weeks earlier) and the loser says the owner cant find the reggie. This guy was just selling it for a friend. But he assured me he would have it in a day or 2, and would send it to me, so I paid, took the car. That was almost a month ago. Turned out the guy that he was selling it for has had it 4 years, but never put it on the road in his name, so he cant even go get another one (a duplicate reggie). DMV did give me the name of the last guy to register the car. I tracked him down, and he is unhelpful. Doesnt want to get involved. I thought maybe he'd help me out and go get me a duplicate reggie and sign it over to me. So Im thinking unless I get another reggie/car, Im screwed. DMV told me today that I MUST have either the reggie, or have this guy fill out a form that says he has had it 4 years but never registered it, and send it to me and I can get the car in my name. I doubt thats going to happen. He (the guy I bought it from who is just selling it to his friend) has pretty much just ignored my calls. The other guy that I need to fill out the form, well I dont even know his name. Im running out of options, Im pretty digusted right now.....Just venting.....

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2008, 03:01 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

I'v went thru the lost registration prosess a few years ago and it is no hassle at all.. there are 2 papers you need to get. you fill out 1 and the seller fills out the other, it's an explination on why it was lost.. you then take a trace of the Vin tag along with the papers to the DMV, and you get a registration... if the seller refuses, send him a court summons.. the law is in your favor because a seller must be able to provide the title to the car..
Old 07-04-2008, 04:50 PM

Thanks for the reply. The problem Im having is that the guy that sold it to me, isnt the owner. He just is selling it for his friend who never actually had it in his name even though hes had it for over 4 years. I contacted the last person to actually register it (the guy he got it from) and asked him to help me out (as well as the people/persons I got the car from) and get a duplicate reggie for me, and he 'doesnt want to get involved'. So I dont know the real owners name/address, just the guy that I actually went and got it from. He owns a big Goodyear garage and thats where the car was, where he has been trying to sell it for his friend. DMV keeps telling me I need the owners name/address on this form and the guy at the garage keeps saying he cant get ahold of him. Im biting my lip to not get in my car and drive 4 hours back down there. Ive already done it twice. I wish I could just find a junk car with a good title and use that. Maybe I can get the guy at the garage to fill out the form in his name. I mean whats the difference? If it hasnt been on the road since the last guy that 'doesnt want to get involved', hell it coulda gone thru 10 different owners since then. But I appreciate the reply.
Old 07-04-2008, 05:37 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Finding a junk car and using that reg/tags is illegal in any state..........

If it was me, I would be taking the car back to My Goodyear store and demanding my money back if he cant supply said registration....If he refuses, call the BBB.....He sold you something under false pretenses.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:30 AM

Me bringing the car back isnt going to happen. By the time I pay for the flatbed, gas and tolls for a 4 hour drive each way, its a $500 day. Plus I want the car. I wonder if theres an abandoned car exception at DMV. I mean really thats what theyve done. Sold the car, got the $$$ and couldnt care less about anything else.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:16 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

I bought my Falcon from a guy in the same situation, in my case it was the junkman, who knew my car was too nice to junk, but he never had it in his name. it does not matter that the guy who sold you the car never registered it.. have the guy who sold u the car fill out the paperwork needed, then bring that along with the a trace of the vin tag to the DMV. NY is 1 of the easiest states to gain registration... you only really need the guys signature in 2 places on the 2 forms and it is simple..

I don't know exactly where you are, but if you go to Margretville Ny, there is a really really tiny, DMV in the town office building. they will be able to help you the best.. and if there is 5 people in line at any given time, it's a buesy day.. they have 1 counterperson
Old 07-09-2008, 06:52 AM

Thanks for all the help. Im close to getting all the paperwork. Does anyone know where the vin # would be on a 1940 Chevy? I have to take a tracing of it for DMV.

Thanks again!

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.