Related????? Kinda- - - - - - You Betcha - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2002, 07:22 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Related????? Kinda- - - - - - You Betcha

Being a newbie, I don't want to drive the train but would like to re-kindle some fond nostalgic memories and instill an idea in your minds as to how to re-live those memories. This subject isn't about hot rods in the sence that we know them but is related as it fathered a lot of us into the hot rod world. The subject matter is Slot Cars.

Remember the early sixties when almost every town had a slot car track. Many of us we're teenagers at this time and many didn't have drivers liscences yet but we did have gear head status and expressed it at the local slot car track. Ah yes, you remeber, the one that was in the old super market building down on main street. That had the smell of 3-N=1 oil and wintergreen tire treatment.The Coke machine with the 10 cent bottles, candy rack, parts counter and a display case with 1/24th scale hot rods that made the best of us say: WOW, That's bad, boss, mean, tough, trick or what ever your favorite excitable expression was at that time. And this was the time when you opened the Sears and Robuck, Montgomery Wards, J.C.Pennys of Speigel Xmas catalog and marked the page with the slot car sets so Santa would be sure to notice. And the fun filled dayd with your buddies combining track and making that monster track layout in Tims fathers garage. Remember Aurora Thunder-Jets?

OK , since I have your attention and the readers that didn't have a clue as to what I was saying has hit the back button, let me introduce an idea that we as can do to relive those good times and also be able to bring those times alive at our favorite cruises. Yes we grew to build our favorite hot rods but I believe that any bonified Gear Head will like this concept and once again resort to playing with TOY CARS.

I never stopped racing slots. Granted , the tracks that were present in slot cars glory days are long gone,the hobby is once again becomming very popular. New commercial tracks are popping up here and there but there is an abundant network of club and home tracks all over the United States and Canada. Most of them are HO scale and one of the most popular classes is, Yep , you guessed it, T-Jets. Do you still have your old race set sitting in the garage under the electric train and old Erector set?

Now your saying , I WIsh He'd Get To The Point !
OK, I will. I suggest that we as hot rodders set up our own series of slot car competition to add to our rod runs and car cruises and for nostalgic reasons, keep them T-Jets.If by chance your little toy hot rod isn't with you anymore, don't get depressed as you can still but them under the name Model Motoring anbd American Line.

( NOTE: a word of caution. Buy only the ones with the Hong Kong chassis as Model Motoring recently came out with a newer style chassis and it doesn't have a good reputation as of yet.)

OK , now you have your $20-$25 car in hand, GR8, let's race. When you say? At our next rod run or club meeting. How you say? On our portable 2-4 -6 or 8 lane track. Buy buying a Tomy International Race set from your hobby shop, you'll have plenty of track to build that large layout.

This concept could evolve into us having a regional , state and even national races in the near future.All it takes is showing up with a track and start running your minature hot rods. Those that don't have them soon will have. Keep it simple. Low tech isn't always a bad thing ya know? 2 classes would be plenty. Stock and Modified.

You say , wow , I want a 32 highboy body. The aftermarket supply for these cars is so complete that you can almost buy any body you want to fit the chassis and Johnny Lightning released several of the old bodies recently on a pull bak toy. A direct ( plastic) replacement for the T-Jet Chassis.

Well , enough rambling from me. I told you I didn't want to drive the train but when you let me under the wheel I ran away with it. But if this idea appeals to you, let me know. If you have any questions, E-Mail me and I'd be glad to answer any questions I can. If you need help getting started, let me know.

Yes I have a 1=1 project pending my moving but I sometimes enjoy the nostalgic trip back in time and Still Play With Toy Cars.

Hey , we'll call em : Pocket Rods.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2002, 04:04 AM

Cool

How dare I reply on my own posting but wondered if I really am the last of a dieing breed of rodders familiar with slot cars. If i'm out of line or off base with this post , let me know.

Tom
Old 03-17-2002, 06:11 AM
Love your nails! You must be a Libra

Last photo:

Talking

tom,

i think everybody has played with slot cars at one time or another, it's just that full-size cars a lot more fun.

JB
Old 03-17-2002, 01:18 PM

Talking

I haven't played with slot cars for years,and yes I used to go to the rental tracks where I lived. I haven't seen any tracks set up a shows I've been to 'but it sounds like a fun time. You never know it just might be the next new old fad that takes off again.
Old 03-18-2002, 08:51 AM

Tom, ahh, reading your 2nd paragraph of the first post sent me down memory lane. I remember the awesome home built track that my neighbor had and the fun-filled Saturdays that were spent in their basement racing those slots. I am thinking they were 1/24 scale and do remember that they were equipped with an arm that ran from under mid body to the contact pick up so that they could "wheelie" down the track. Tire were manufactured so that they could be changed to choose the softness and some were pretty spongy.
As far competition during rod meets or cruises, I dunno'...might be cool for some.
Maybe the idea needs to be put out on other forums to see if there is interest.
Good luck to ya', though.
Brian
Old 03-18-2002, 09:30 AM

In reading the topic I recall my dad,my brother and I had our own cars in the 60's and used to go down to the hobby shop and race on weekends. I remeber those different soft foamy tires as weell as the others. we used to put a very thin coat of 3 in one iol on tires and do smoking burnouts, man those cars had some power. You know what I dont't remember what I even did with the cars. Still have some of the 1/64th cars and ho's and tracks. We played with those last year.

NOVA JEFF
Old 03-18-2002, 10:08 AM

Cool

Guys,

I had an AFX track once that had matchbox sized cars. My brother and I raced them alot. My Father had one of those 1:24 cars. I remember seing it. I know it is no londer around though, he took it apart to make something else. One summer my friends and I built a quarter mile track and modified those HO cars and draged them. We took apart anything we could find for bodys and tires. The 1:24 stuff is all before my time.
Old 03-18-2002, 10:39 AM

Talking

Tom you are not the only one who has ever done anything with slot cars.I myself have tried to build one but couldnt find a track to use it on so it just sits on a shelf for show.I also have a 1:24 road runner my uncle had given me(but its not one of the shut down cars i already checked).I to think we should have slot car races and shows and events it would be a great way to get the younger kids interested in cars instead of expensive pokemon cards and other items which cost parents a fortune.

Newport

[ March 18, 2002: Message edited by: 68newport383 ]</p>
Old 03-19-2002, 03:30 PM

Talking

BRASS TUBE CHASSIS'S, CLEAR BODIES PAINTED FROM THE INSIDE & "TIGER'S MILK" BURNOUTS FOR TRACTION------- OOP'S, SHOWING MY AGE

***AND TO THINK, ALL WITHOUT A COMPUTER
Old 03-20-2002, 03:45 PM

Well at least I'm not alone in thinking it's a good idea. If any of you'd like to get the ball rolling , let me know as I am in mine. However , it's always cruise weather here in Florida and I expect to move to Ohio in June and will need someone to take over here.

Thx ,
Tom

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.