Relationship between Gas Pedal and Brake Pedal - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2011, 10:09 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Relationship between Gas Pedal and Brake Pedal

I am looking for pictures of your Gas/Brake Pedal set-ups-I am working on placing my Steering Column, and decided to make the hole in my floor for my Brake Pedal, and mock-up my Gas Pedal to see how much room I have and where to put the Column. Anyway, after looking at the situation, I will only have about 2-2 1/2" between my Pedals (if I offset my Brake Pedal on it's pedestal)-seems kinda tight, so I am looking for inspiration-anybody got any?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2011, 06:48 AM

Last photo:

These are just pics I found on another website and they are '32 Fords. As you can see they to are pretty tight but that's just the nature of the beast. With your '35 you may have a little more room, forgot if your's has a clutch peddle or not but you can move the gas peddle over a little (????) if it's an after market type. Hope this gives you a little indication on what you can do..........Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2088.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	60956   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2089.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	938.4 KB
ID:	60957   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2087.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	60958  
Old 12-21-2011, 07:40 AM

Last photo:

peddal gap

i can tell u from experiance.... make sure the ped's are far nuff apart the if ur bk ped goes to the floor u don't push on the gas.... my first bucket m/c failed and close nuff i was hitting the gas, did a sideway turn and hit a sign.. couldn't figure what was going on.... fixed that on second bucket...
Old 12-21-2011, 07:53 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

tight fit.

I still have my old T bucket, I found the Body In ' 51' . I used a big foot print gas pedal, about in the center of the dash, brake is ok but I always have my left foot on the clutch pedal , No room to put the left foot any where else . I had a friend that had an old dirt circle track car and when I sat in it I liked the tall hand brake on the left side. he could have his foot on the gas and left hand on the brake to come out of corners faster. I used a tall original T hand brake in the same location and I like having it there , easy to grab.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:59 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

go fast cobra

The same problems in a Cobra, A good friend is the retired director of Ford racing, He still has his original Cobra, Much Modified and he still races it ..He Won the Optima in 2009. There is info and picts of what he did for pedals on the Club Cobra site, just search cobra # 3170 ,
Old 12-21-2011, 01:00 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 327NUT
These are just pics I found on another website and they are '32 Fords. As you can see they to are pretty tight but that's just the nature of the beast. With your '35 you may have a little more room, forgot if your's has a clutch peddle or not but you can move the gas peddle over a little (????) if it's an after market type. Hope this gives you a little indication on what you can do..........Dave

Thank you for the pictures! Mine doesn't have a Clutch, and I am amazed at the one picture showing the Gas Pedal on top of the Trans hump-I had to make my Hump bigger to handle my 4L80E, but it is still the same distance from the hump to the pedlals, only taller than before-I am using a Clayton Machine Works Throttle Pedal, which isn't adjustable, and I don't have room to move it because of the tunnel-

I was thinking about it last night, and I may have to either live with it or modify the bracket (or pedal) on the Frame-

Here's the Pedal:

http://www.claytonmachine.com/throttle-assy.html

and the Bracket:

http://www.butchscoolstuff.com/store...s/98_large.jpg
Old 12-21-2011, 01:34 PM

Last photo:

That's the problem with the shiny billet stuff.......you can't bend or modify it without screwing it up. You may have to re-think the layout a little but I would def. move the throttle pedal or even install it on an angle before trying to move the brake assembly. The brake pedal arm could be bent to give you the needed clearance, just have to get in there and see whats best for your rig. The early Fords "usually" have a fairly flat floor or mild hump which makes it easier to do the layout for the accel pedal.......good luck.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:39 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Dave! and thanks to everyone who posted!

Last edited by 35WINDOW; 12-21-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:03 PM

Last journal entry: My Last Hot Rod
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale
I still have my old T bucket, I found the Body In ' 51' . I used a big foot print gas pedal, about in the center of the dash, brake is ok but I always have my left foot on the clutch pedal , No room to put the left foot any where else . I had a friend that had an old dirt circle track car and when I sat in it I liked the tall hand brake on the left side. he could have his foot on the gas and left hand on the brake to come out of corners faster. I used a tall original T hand brake in the same location and I like having it there , easy to grab.
the side break was needed for restarts you didnt have room or time to play with the brakes, clutch and gas all at the same time. The clutch was in and the gas was floored you used the side brake to stop from running over the other cars in line
for a 40 car restart
Old 12-22-2011, 01:16 PM

Last journal entry: bump stops
Last photo:

pedals

I have a 31 chevy coupe with brake and clutch not much more than 3" between pedal arms. hope you have small feet but it works.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:57 AM

Last photo:

Well,

I thought I'd post a small update-here is a picture of said Pedals (I've since added the Seat, and the bottom Steering Mount, my new Flaming River 1 3/4" polished Stainless Column should be here this week)-it's tight, but it will have to work (as I've cut the Floor! gasp )-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0131.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	61724  
Old 01-11-2012, 01:31 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Craig - sorry I didn't see this earlier.

This is mine for the '31. In my example, I needed to keep the accelerator pedal bell crank in line with the throttle arm as I'm using a solid linkage instead of a cable. The brake pedal is fairly close to the steering column and actually further from the accelerator pedal then my wife's now gone Ford Escape. I do wear sneakers/shoes with a narrow sole, just to add a bit of room, but had to on that Escape as well.

(That stuff hanging down was 'fixed' as this is a before registration photo )

Dave W
Old 01-11-2012, 01:35 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Dave,

It doesn't look like my Pedals are too much closer than yours, but my Tranny hump kinda gets in the way! Thanks for posting!

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.