Relay Terminals for new fuse block - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2013, 01:51 PM

Last journal entry: More information
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Relay Terminals for new fuse block

Hi,

I'm making a new fuse block for my LT1 harness -- the integrated harness is in an inconvenient spot, and i'm going to relocate it to the firewall.

In doing this, I have purchased some Relay sockets for the 5 relays my car uses (starter, fuel pump, air conditioning, fan 1 and fan 2). However, I am not sure what type of female terminals I need to purchase -- I found one on Mouser which fits the spec, but I feel like they have to exist elsewhere, in different sizes:

42238-2 TE Connectivity / AMP | Mouser

These are the relay terminals that I am using:

SOCKET FOR AUTOMOTIVE RELAY | AllElectronics.com

I'm using this in conjunction with 2 Dorman Fuse blocks, which slide together:

Dorman Universal Fuse Blocks 85668 - SummitRacing.com

I also have two Maxi blade fuses for my fans:

Pico 0969PT 60 AMP In-Line Maxi Fuse Holder with Dust Cap 8 AWG : Amazon.com : Automotive Pico 0969PT 60 AMP In-Line Maxi Fuse Holder with Dust Cap 8 AWG : Amazon.com : Automotive

Can anyone help me find the terminals for my relays? Maybe someone has a source which they have used in the past?

Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2013, 04:54 PM

Last photo:

Hey Tyler. I get most of my wiring supplies from delcity.net or waytekwire.com.

These are both real-deal electrical suppliers with huge inventories, not drop-ship web stores.

Waytek has the relay socket terminals you're looking for in several sizes:

14-16 gauge
10-12 gauge

Hope this helps...
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe G For This Useful Post:
tylerwerrin (03-07-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 05:16 PM

Last photo:

The relay socket you have a link to already has terminals in them and a short pigtail. I don't like to use them because it has to be spliced in and that's just one more connection to possibly fail. Use the terminals Joe G recommended from Waytek and their 75280 connector, it makes a nice clean installation with no splices.
The Following User Says Thank You to sparkchaser For This Useful Post:
tylerwerrin (03-07-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 05:58 PM

Last photo:

Yeah, I popped all the leads out because they weren't up to proper gauge. Right now I have an empty socket which i have to add new female terminals to. I'm also looking to build a little box to store the whole unit in. There were some boxes i thought would work at All electronics, but none are tall enough to hold the socket and the relay. I need about 4 inches of space.

I did snag a full fuse block from a 90's camaro -- strangely it didn't include provisions for the MAXI Blade fuses, like the Impala SS integrated block had (that block, currently in my un-molested harness has smaller fuses for the fans and larger MAXI fuses.) I guess I'll have to pick up a couple seperate fuses for that.

Any other tips, let me have em! Thanks so far!
Old 03-06-2013, 07:18 PM

Last photo:

The jeep grand cherokee has a really nice power distro box that can be reterminated with packhard terminals avail on ebay or NAPA. I get mine from the junk yard for less than 50 bucks and have used it on several projects.

The terminals come in different gauges etc.....

12 Gauge Packard 56 Female Electrical Terminal Terminals 25 Pack | eBay

here are some links to the bay...... they want too much for it tho'

Fuse Relay Junction Center Panel XJ Fuses Relays Box Under Hood Module | eBay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	packhard type 56 terminal.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	72110   Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep fuse box.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	280.8 KB
ID:	72111  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EOD Guy For This Useful Post:
Joe G (03-06-2013), tylerwerrin (03-07-2013)
Old 03-07-2013, 01:08 AM

Last photo:

dammit, that Fuse Box looks perfect. Since I already bought the camaro one, will I have a problem with not running the large Blade fuses with it? or should i get 2 MAXI holders and the corresponding fuses for the fans? i don't get why the circuit is protected twice, but GM usually has a reason. Perhaps one is for post-relay operation, and the other is the signal wire from the PCM?

Part of the idea of this project was to shrink the size of the fuse box too -- I guess 5 relays will be the size of 5 relays no matter where they are put. Perhaps i could just relocate the fuse box that's integrated into the harness:

http://www.lt1swap.com/pictures/fuse_block_800.jpg

Thats what the fuse box that I have now looks like. It's actually a good size, its just that since it's integrated into the harness, i can't move it around. Ideally I'd like to put it up against the firewall. The fella on this site shrank the fuse block down:

http://www.lt1swap.com/pictures/1995...ALONE_ZOOM.jpg

although he leaves off 3 important relays that I would like to retain in the same block (just to further clean up the bay... right now I have the starter relay mounted on its own on the firewall.)
Old 03-07-2013, 01:15 AM

Last photo:

dammit, that Fuse Box looks perfect. Since I already bought the camaro one, will I have a problem with not running the large Blade fuses with it? or should i get 2 MAXI holders and the corresponding fuses for the fans? i don't get why the circuit is protected twice, but GM usually has a reason. Perhaps one is for post-relay operation, and the other is the signal wire from the PCM?

Part of the idea of this project was to shrink the size of the fuse box too -- I guess 5 relays will be the size of 5 relays no matter where they are put. Perhaps i could just relocate the fuse box that's integrated into the harness:

Thats what the fuse box that I have now looks like. It's actually a good size, its just that since it's integrated into the harness, i can't move it around. Ideally I'd like to put it up against the firewall. The fella on this site shrank the fuse block down:

http://www.lt1swap.com/pictures/1995...ALONE_ZOOM.jpg

although he leaves off 3 important relays that I would like to retain in the same block (just to further clean up the bay... right now I have the starter relay mounted on its own on the firewall.)
Old 03-07-2013, 03:52 AM

Last photo:

Not sure on why you need the Maxi-fuse or if we're not talking about the same type fuse. To me the mxai fuse is a rather large fuse that looks just like normal two bladed fuse, then there's the really small, newer style two bladed fuse. They all look the same, just the size is diff. Then the slow-blow fuses that look square.

I have transplanted twin 90's-ish Camaro fans into my project and run a single, normal 30 amp, two bladed fuse along with a relay....... haven't had any issues
Old 03-07-2013, 05:02 PM

Last photo:

It's weird that the fuse block has both the smaller type blade fuses and the larger types (the stock Camaro block). You can see here:

See the larger type fuses above the relays, and the smaller type adjacent to them? The larger type fuses are part of the fan circuits, yet there are also smaller fan fuses as well:

http://www.lt1swap.com/pictures/fuse...icker_1024.jpg

The camaro fuse block that I picked up at the junkyard looks like this:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/24984984/IMG_1729.jpg

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/24984984/IMG_1735.jpg

Note on the diagram, there is only provisions for 1 fuse which is 10amp, versus on the other fuse block (the one i currently have) there are twin 40 amp fuses in addition to the 10amp fuse which are part of the fan circuit.

What do you think could be the difference? And why would they not have the 40 amp fuse for the fans on the camaro block?

I'm thinking right now about just extending the wires from the existing fuse block that I have and relocating the box, but it kinda defeats the purpose of having a nice small compact fuse junction.

Last edited by tylerwerrin; 03-07-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:18 PM

Last photo:

Not for sure 10 amp..... but IMO, I guess it was to protect the relay and not the fan motor and on your current setup 40 amps are to protect the fans etc...... as long as you replace the 10 amp with the smaller sized 40 amp you should be good. In addition to replacing the fuse you need to make sure the wire on the back side of the old 10 amp, is of the correct gauge wire to handle the new 40 amp load...... which sounds like that was your plan etc......

At the end of the day..... as long as you protect the fans with the correct size fuse and wire........ it really doesn't matter where the power comes from. In my project I used the painless wire kit..... it had a smaller, don't remember the size, fuse with smaller gauge wire to controll the dual fans...... I took the fuse block apart and replaced the smaller wire and terminal with a 10 gauge wire and 30 amp fuse, then from the engine side of the bulkhead fuse block connector I ran 10 gauge to my fan relay etc...... I used that combo for a year or so ....... and decided to replace dash cluster with a Dakota Digital VHX system and with the new cluster I got temp gauges in the speedo and went with DD fan controller. The new controller took all the guess work out of turning the fans On/Off, I used my existing power circuit for the fans and use the new controller to controll the relays. Works super trick.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:16 PM

Last photo:

turns out in camaros, they didn't use fuses, they used fuseable links. GM kinda cheaped out on the camaro it seems! I guess i'll just pick up 2 maxi fuse holders and find a way to mount them to my new provisional fuse block. Or conversely, I'll just reposition my fuseblock somewhere else. I think i'll be able to shorten it OK.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:13 AM

Last photo:

You don't have to have the maxi-fuse size of fuse, the smaller, mid sized fuse will work just fine (not the tiny one). You can use 2 ordinary, insulated, female wire terminal connectors as your fuse holder.

Good luck with your project

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.