Hot Rod Forum banner

Relocate Leaf Springs?

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  71gtx 
#1 ·
I have a 1971 Plymouth B body (Satellite) with an 8 1/4 rear end. I have tires on it that are just a little too wide and scrape the quarters. Also, my rear end gave on me the other day. I am thinking about upgrading to an 8 3/4 rear end. I found one that is a 1965 B body housing. It is approximately 3" shorter. Could I possibly relocate my leaf springs about 1.6" on both sides to fit this different sized housing in, which would also pull my tires in snug?

#3 ·
[email]BOBCRMAN@aol.com[/email] said:
I don't know about your body style, but the Mopar people used to market brackets that offset the rear spring shackles towards the center of the car, thus gaining tire clearance, mostly sixties bodies tho.
Mopar Performance still sells the spring relocation kits, part number P4120665AB for B-Bodies. From the 2004 MP catalog (available at Mopar.com) - "Moves lead springs in 3" per side for additional tire clearance. Mounts longitudinally. Requires welding. Includes front hangers, shackles, shackle mounts and spring mounting seats."

I think there is a small difference in the mounting procedure when used in a 3rd gen B-body, if I can find mention of it I'll let you know.

#5 ·
Actually, when I went under the car, I noticed an inner frame that was 6" from the one that the leaf spring is connected to. Would it be possible to drill holes in this frame and rebolt the leaf springs that much more inward? Then could I take the pinion snubber off and drill holes in the axle housing to put the pinion snubber 6" inward also to meet the leaf springs?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.