Relocating 72 Nova Rear Shocks - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2006, 12:10 PM
72NOVA454

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Relocating 72 Nova Rear Shocks

Help - 2nd attempt at an earlier thread.

I'm getting little or no help from the product manufacturers.....so I need you guys to help me.

I need to relocate the rear shocks on my 72 nova inward to accomodate a wider tire. I want to also install traction bars.

who makes the products to help me do this? what are the part numbers? will they work on my 72 Nova?

thanks.

Lee

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2006, 04:57 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Most of the time ... the rear spring or the inner wheel-well is the limiting factor in putting a wider tire on a 68 to 72 Nova ...

Moroso used to make a spring reallocator kit ... moved the springs inward and moved the shock too ...

Maybe they still do ...
Old 05-21-2006, 06:28 AM
72NOVA454

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce
Most of the time ... the rear spring or the inner wheel-well is the limiting factor in putting a wider tire on a 68 to 72 Nova ...

Moroso used to make a spring reallocator kit ... moved the springs inward and moved the shock too ...

Maybe they still do ...
I'll get under there and look at it again. from what I recall relocating only the shock mount will give me at least 2 or 3 inches more clearance which should be enough, but I will call moroso and find out.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:36 PM
It'll go, or it'll blow...

Last photo:

Competition Engineering (a division of Moroso- I think) makes relocated cross member for moving shocks inboard. Requires welding.

Any welder/ fabricator should be able to fabricate a shock crossmember (just a tube w/ brackets for shocks and plates on the ends) if they are no longer made by CE.

The shocks are the limiting factor in a Nova. Relocate the upper mounts and relocate the lower mounts to a slapper bar. Then with stock 68-72 Nova wheel wells and leaf springs you can run up to 10.5" wide(tread width) (12.5" section width) x 30" tall tires by rolling outer lip.
Tires large enough to require moving the springs in would necessitate a mini-tub of inner wheel wells. This would allow 13 or 14" wide rubber (tread width.) Competition Engineering makes these as well.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:56 PM
72NOVA454

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by novajohnb
Competition Engineering (a division of Moroso- I think) makes relocated cross member for moving shocks inboard. Requires welding.

Any welder/ fabricator should be able to fabricate a shock crossmember (just a tube w/ brackets for shocks and plates on the ends) if they are no longer made by CE.

The shocks are the limiting factor in a Nova. Relocate the upper mounts and relocate the lower mounts to a slapper bar. Then with stock 68-72 Nova wheel wells and leaf springs you can run up to 10.5" wide(tread width) (12.5" section width) x 30" tall tires by rolling outer lip.
Tires large enough to require moving the springs in would necessitate a mini-tub of inner wheel wells. This would allow 13 or 14" wide rubber (tread width.) Competition Engineering makes these as well.
I've seen the competition engineering crossmember you noted. It requires cutting and welding according to their tech support. you are right, it's just a piece of box steel with a couple welded tabs on it. I am in the process of finding a performance shop in my area to do what you said. I usually do that stuff myself but I may have someone else do it this time due to my limited welding experience and shop equipment. I will install slapper bars as you said, not sure who's yet, probably comp engineering or another one I've heard of called caltrac. those 10.5"" tires should hookup pretty well right? right now my tires smoke and spin when I floor it from a sitting position.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:37 PM

Last photo:

Caltrac and CE's slide-a-links are basicly the same thing
check it out
http://www.calvertracing.com/
They are more than slapper bars they basicly turn the leaf spring into a "ladderbar" in the way the caltrac's work to push up on the chassis o plant the rear tires. I know a few people that have them and a few more that will, well worth the price, IMHO
Old 10-21-2006, 07:21 PM

72 nova shocks

Hello, I just read today, Saturday in my new Summit catalog a product that will move the shocks over instead of having to tub it, they say in the catalog that if you want fatter and bigger tires and do not want to tub then this is the way to go has for a price around 70.00 bucks Summitracing.com check it out Jeff
Old 10-23-2006, 08:38 AM
72NOVA454

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5bigdoghouse
Hello, I just read today, Saturday in my new Summit catalog a product that will move the shocks over instead of having to tub it, they say in the catalog that if you want fatter and bigger tires and do not want to tub then this is the way to go has for a price around 70.00 bucks Summitracing.com check it out Jeff
wow - I just got my Summit catalog also. I will try to find that product. What page is it on?

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.