Relocating master cyl on a 34 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2003, 07:22 PM
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Relocating master cyl on a 34

Small problem, on my newly acquired Gibbon 34 the master cyl and booster is mounted in the frame under the body. While laying on a creeper and just looking at things under my car it struk me. The master cyl is right where the exhaust for the left side of the engine needs to route throught the frame. The right side is a "no brainer", but the left is gonna be a bugger, unless I can relocate the booster and master cyl to the firewall. Has anyone seen an article or pictures on relocating to the firewall?

Thanks
Vince

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2003, 09:58 PM
Love your nails! You must be a Libra

Last photo:

Vince,

i haven't faced your problem but i would think that a brake supplier could give you all the necessary info you need to make the switch. any rod mag will have ads for new mcs and boosters. i have seen some that fit under the dash and go sideways along the firewall if you don't have room to go thru the firewall.

JB
Old 11-15-2003, 07:40 AM
Last photo:

I found a firewall mount braket and hanging pedal assembly that looks like it may work. I also will be going to a rod gettogether this evening so I can ask around about the exhaust problem.

Vince
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	universalpedals.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	563  
Old 11-15-2003, 08:30 AM
Are we having fun yet?

Last photo:

I would try and keep the brake assy. underneath to retain the clean firewall look. Mine is located on the frame but I'm using a booster. I am running headers that are a block hugger style. A friend of mine has a 32 with the setup as you have and I'll ask him what the trick is about the clearance. Norm.
Old 11-15-2003, 01:03 PM
Last photo:

I would prefer it to remain on the frame, and the firewall clean, but I do not see how you will be able to get an exhaust pipe of any size by it without running below the x members and that would look like %$#@.

Vince
Old 11-15-2003, 01:15 PM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Go to http://www.hotrodheaven.com/tech/chassis/chassis15.htm and scroll down to see an overhead picture of a '34 frame with the engine, exhaust, brake cylinders with floor mount pedals. That frame is using dual Wilwwood master cylinders with a 7-1 pedal ratio. No booster is required.
Old 11-15-2003, 03:02 PM
Last photo:

Thanks Frisco, that is certainly another option. I also saw a SAC Hot Rod shop frame for a 34 in a mag ad. It had the master cyl/booster located further back behing the X member and the pedal was where mine is now with a long actuation rod. It might be possible to seperate the bracket where the pedal is attached to the frame, leaving the pedal in the original position and move the master cyl/booster bracket rearward. That way all I would have to do is fabricate a long actuation rod. Here is a shot of my arrangement from the rear. As you can see the master cyl/booster is right where the left exhaust pipe should go.

Vince
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc00984.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	566  
Old 11-16-2003, 09:58 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by 302/Z28
It had the master cyl/booster located further back behing the X member and the pedal was where mine is now with a long actuation rod. That way all I would have to do is fabricate a long actuation rod.
Vince
That would probably be your best option. A longer rod would not be a problem. I would suggest that you increase the diameter of the rod for most of the length to provide rigidity. That 7" booster will not provide much help unless it is one of the new dual diaphram versions. There is an excellent article on that at the link I posted above. Look for the brake article. Good luck with your project!!!
Old 11-16-2003, 11:42 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Frisco
That would probably be your best option. A longer rod would not be a problem. I would suggest that you increase the diameter of the rod for most of the length to provide rigidity. That 7" booster will not provide much help unless it is one of the new dual diaphram versions. There is an excellent article on that at the link I posted above. Look for the brake article. Good luck with your project!!!
That is the way I am currently going with my thinking. The booster is a dual diaphram unit.That was a good thought about increasing the size of the rod, will do. I shot an email to the guys at the site you posted asking for some part numbers on the Willwood dual cylinder/balance bar assembly. I really would prefer to do away with the booster, if the price is not to prohibitive.

Thanks again
Vince

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.