Relocating the radiator - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2005, 10:32 AM
70Chevelle/91Eclipse

Last journal entry: My 81 Silverado(SourApple)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Relocating the radiator

I saw in a magazine that a builder had moved the radiator to the back of his ride, im assuming to compensate for weight distribution, but i was wondering if anybody in here has done this as well and what the outcome was?

thanks,
classic

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2005, 12:06 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

A couple guys on HR.Com have done it and hopefully they will chime in as well. Here is how I did mine on my 32 roadster.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...age=5&reverse=

(Note: if the link does not get you to the right page, just click on my journal and work your way to entries 180-182 --- should be on page 6.)

I'm still in the shake down phase of this project so I don't have enough time on the road with it to say much one way or the other as to how it performs other than I am not getting any overheating so far. One bit of advice, however. If you use copper pipe for your plumbing, take extra care to get the joints soldered properly the FIRST time. I've had to redo a couple of my joints and it's a pain in the butt to repair them once everything is on the car vs. putting them together off the car in the first place. You might also want to check out how Willys used copper pipe for a normal radiator install.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...age=5&reverse=

(If link doesn't get you there, got to page 3 of Willys36 journal and find entry 128-131)

Dewey
Old 07-21-2005, 12:25 PM
70Chevelle/91Eclipse

Last photo:

thanks for the reply, im having trouble trying to keep the weight ratio as close to even as i can. sometimes i dont think its worth it, to go through all the trouble of getting it as close to 50:50 as u can. Would anybody know if it makes that much of a difference when your on the road course?
Old 07-21-2005, 01:50 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Yes it does.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:18 PM
Time is short, are you ready?

Last photo:

I have never seen this done before, except for an S-10 pickup built by Lingenfelter. The radiator was right behind the cab, up in the bed of the truck with dual electric fans.

I cannot remember how they ran the lines, but I have a question about cboy's installation. It appears you have ran the same diameter lines to and from the radiator that would normally be installed (1.25" to 1.5"). Wouldn't there be a pressure problem considering the stock strength water pump over that long of a distance? It just seems like it would be difficult to pressurize the system, maybe even with a high-flow water pump. Would a booster pump be in order here? I could be wrong, but just thought I would bring it up for discussion.

cboy's setup looks like it will at least double the coolant capacity.

Ed
Old 07-21-2005, 04:46 PM

you have to install an inline electric water pump along with or by itself depending on your system.if you go to jegs site they have one that pumps 19 or 20 gpm for about 175.00 but they come in different sizes all the way up to 55 gpm by meziere.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:07 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge
... I have a question about cboy's installation. It appears you have ran the same diameter lines to and from the radiator that would normally be installed (1.25" to 1.5"). Wouldn't there be a pressure problem considering the stock strength water pump over that long of a distance?
Interesting point...and certainly something to keep an eye on. I've had the roadster up to running temperature a number of times and have driven it up and down the local roads right around my house...and so far it has always run the temp gauge up to 190 (it has a 185 thermostat) but it's never gone any higher. That's not to say the water pump capacity might not cause a problem as I start putting some longer distance trips on the car (of sit in traffic for long periods) but so far the stock pump seems to be able to move the water around the system at a sufficient rate to keep everything cool.

Dewey
Old 07-21-2005, 07:15 PM
70Chevelle/91Eclipse

Last photo:

See i was thinking about that very same problem. my conclusion (just guessin about all of this) was that while some shorter vehicles with the stock water pump ( and several other factors included - ie. engine size and such ) might not have problems with the temp, longer vehicles with an upgraded water pump might not have as many problems either. its just like the pipes in your house, after a distance the temperature drops (especially with no insulation), when your driving down the road and the waters really flowin the air going under the car will cool the pipes down ( in a way the pipes are still acting like a radiator ) and provide a cooler atmosphere for the radiator. if you think about it this way: you dont have the heat coming off the engine to worry about, its all free flowing air. Beef up the water pump a little bit, run some good tubing ( the more heat resistant the better ), stick the radiator somewhere where its gonna get mouthfuls of air, and put 2 or 4 of the biggest electric fans you can on there.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:50 PM
Time is short, are you ready?

Last photo:

Lingenfelter TT Sonoma

Isn't Google a wonderful thing.

The truck I remember seeing was a TT Sonoma with a 427 CI LS1 with Twin-Turbos (650 HP). With the intercooler, that is why they mounted the radiator in the back. There is a good picture of the pipe down by the frame rail, but I can't find anything about the water pump.

Check out the pictures here: http://www.s10forum.com/forum/showpo...98&postcount=4

and here: http://www.s-series.org/htm/Lingenfelter/

Ed

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.