Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodders Site Suggestions and Help (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodders-site-suggestions-help/)
-   -   Reminding newbies to search (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/reminding-newbies-search-55548.html)

cboy 01-06-2005 08:16 AM

Reminding newbies to search

I've been thinking a bit about one of my pet peeves, folks who post a question before doing a search and reading all the prior answers, and I came up with one potential solution. I don't know if it is possible with the program Jon uses for the site but here is my idea.

If you are a newbie (for the sake of argument, 50 posts or less) and you click on the "Post New Thread" button you first get a "Nag" screen saying something like, "Have you tried the Knowledge Base or done a site search regarding your question? Please save yourself and your readers a lot of time and waisted energy by using HR.Coms excellent Knowledge Base and/or search function FIRST. Once you have digested all the prior answers and discussions regarding your inquiry, you will then be able to post any follow up questions which were not specifically answered in our data base."

Then have a "Yes" and "No" that must be clicked. If they answer Yes (they have done a search) it takes them to the normal Post New Thread screen like the one I am typing on now. If they answer NO (they have not done a search) it takes them to a screen where they can elect to go to the Knowledge Base or to the Search function.

I realize that some folks will just ignore the nag and click on Yes but I truly believe that many new posters do not know about the Knowledge Base and search function or don't realize how helpful and easy they are to use. This is just sort of a gentle way to guide people into the search engine and eliminate a few of the repetitive questions.

Once a member has logged 50 or more posts, the Nag screen is eliminated.

Dewey

Jon 01-07-2005 04:06 PM

Good idea.

On our new software, we're going to have custom posting screens, that vary with post count. So, a newbie will have a very basic posting screen, really easy to use. Then, as he/she accrues posts, the posting screen will add complexities.

A proper "nag" is not a bad idea to integrate into a newbie posting screen.

oldschoolrods 01-09-2005 10:53 AM

Yes I think it is a good idea because when I first come on here I didn't know how to search, maybe even making the search link bigger or in an easier to read spot would be better.

dadsdream32 12-21-2005 06:23 PM

"Newbie"

I guess I can agree with you for sure. I am one of them who has posted a search topic, (first one), and not yet figured out how to get around this website. NTL Lee

schnitz 12-23-2005 06:56 PM

I like the idea, but one thing to add somehow would be some way to separate (if possible) between manufacturer's problems. I understand that problems vehicle-wise can be very similiar, but every once in a while, I need a brand specific answer. That's where I can't help but wonder if a "newbie" gets a bit intimidated. 5, 7, or 10+ pages can be a bit intimidating for anybody (myself included)

In a while, Chet.