Reminiscing about a day when an NSRA event didn't have 1980 Celebrity wagons in it. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2012, 10:23 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,126 Times in 1,000 Posts
Reminiscing about a day when an NSRA event didn't have 1980 Celebrity wagons in it.

I was just looking at some photos and came across this one of a Street Scene magazine I have hanging out in my man cave. That's my truck up in the right corner with me standing next to it in a white T shirt. It's from the NSRA West in Santa Maria 1981.

At this event I had a number of people give me chit because they thought my truck didn't "belong" that it wasn't made before 1949! I had a number of them ask "What year is your truck" and I told them 48 (which it is) and got something like "Sure looks a lot like my uncles 53" back from a number of them. I am not kidding you, I got that from a number of guys at that event. I went to MANY runs where I was told I couldn't come in until I showed them the title and had someone one else say "Yeah they made those in 48" rolling his eyes like I was a poser. LOL, a friggin chopped top hot rod and they were giving me crap! Now, I could drive in with a rusty 78 pickup with a load of garbage in the bed! Funny stuff.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2012, 10:40 AM

Last photo:

By the way, not that I don't like late model stuff, the "All American Get together" Goodguys show is one of my favorites because I like ALL styles and years of cars. But a "Rod run" for under 49 only sure was nice, it's kinda like going to a baseball park and there is a basket ball game going on too on the field, pick one for goodness sakes!

Brian
Old 10-06-2012, 11:12 AM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:

I feel you pain, Brian, but lately it seems that every time an "Organization" tries to "add" rules and regulations to your "Hobby" something gets lost in the process.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:16 AM

Last photo:

I have no pain per-se it's still a very cool hobby and I still enjoy the events. I mean, heck, back in 81 my Rambler wouldn't have been allowed in any club I was in, in any NSRA event, no little "rod runs", nothing. So I am taking advantage of the looser rules.

It's been a slow evolution kinda like my gray hair, we hardly saw it change.

Brian
Old 10-06-2012, 06:44 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I have no pain per-se it's still a very cool hobby and I still enjoy the events. I mean, heck, back in 81 my Rambler wouldn't have been allowed in any club I was in, in any NSRA event, no little "rod runs", nothing. So I am taking advantage of the looser rules.

It's been a slow evolution kinda like my gray hair, we hardly saw it change.

Brian
There you go, talking about hair again. I don't get the thirty year sliding eligibility rule but I do love seeing the '49 Mercs, Shoebox Fords, and those 51 Chevy trucks that look like they are '48s, I went to the NATS South in Knoxville and the Nationals in Louisville this year and have to say there was very little that did not warrant being there. So far it has not been the problem I anticipated. There is one interesting thing though. The numbers are going down not up. I am not sure whether it is the economy or the Street Rodders are rebelling against NSRA "selling them out".

John L
Old 10-06-2012, 07:24 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
There you go, talking about hair again. I don't get the thirty year sliding eligibility rule but I do love seeing the '49 Mercs, Shoebox Fords, and those 51 Chevy trucks that look like they are '48s, I went to the NATS South in Knoxville and the Nationals in Louisville this year and have to say there was very little that did not warrant being there. So far it has not been the problem I anticipated. There is one interesting thing though. The numbers are going down not up. I am not sure whether it is the economy or the Street Rodders are rebelling against NSRA "selling them out".

John L
I wasn't very happy about that 30 year rule that NSRA came up with, but have been to York, PA and Burlington, Vt several times since and gotta say, the very, very few cars that don't belong in ANY show were several pre '49s that should have been parts cars for better builds. This is Burlington a couple weeks ago and a few photos of about 2K cars that were there: Burlington 2012rev1 pictures by Irelandschild - Photobucket

What it boils down to is NSRA staying solvent so they can continue to put on decent weekend shows by trying to open it to others - and at least those two venues, it's working. Goodguy's - not so well IMO.

Dave W
Gabbyp (10-07-2012)
Old 10-07-2012, 12:48 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

The last show I entered my coupe into had a brand new Camaro. It wasn't getting any attention, I felt bad for the owners...but they are everywhere now. 165 vehicles, it's a small church show that gets better every year.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:09 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
By the way, not that I don't like late model stuff, the "All American Get together" Goodguys show is one of my favorites because I like ALL styles and years of cars. But a "Rod run" for under 49 only sure was nice, it's kinda like going to a baseball park and there is a basket ball game going on too on the field, pick one for goodness sakes!

Brian
What? The Blue Angels were flying over the SF bay tiday. Who cares, I have seenj them many times when i lived in the city.

The Rip City Riders sponsered a car/bike show in Petaluma yesterday. 200 Hot rods, customs and crazy cars of all desriptions. At least 1000 harleys showed up. My buell engined harley and my buddies TC 88 went there. It was way cool.

The Stoke ranch car show pales by comparision in windsor. 100 cars and 50 custom bikes. We did the stoke ranch car show a few years ago. Two panteras and 4 C2 vettes.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:40 AM

Last photo:

Down here in our area the "Cruises" or "Gatherings" as some call them, are becoming very large and very popular. No classes, no trophies and no tee-shirts, just car folks coming together at a specified location for the enjoyment of their hobby. One of my favorites happens the first of January evey year in Bryan/College Station at the Chicken Oil Company Burger Joint/Tex Mex/Hang Out. I've seen 500+ cars there when the weather was windy, cold and down right miserable but for some reason people show up.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:12 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched ratchet View Post
Down here in our area the "Cruises" or "Gatherings" as some call them, are becoming very large and very popular. No classes, no trophies and no tee-shirts, just car folks coming together at a specified location for the enjoyment of their hobby. One of my favorites happens the first of January evey year in Bryan/College Station at the Chicken Oil Company Burger Joint/Tex Mex/Hang Out. I've seen 500+ cars there when the weather was windy, cold and down right miserable but for some reason people show up.
The cruises are by far the best. No egos in the way. No complaints about judging. Just a good time with fellow car guys.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:33 AM
Last photo:

I have a lot of buds who no longer belong to the NSRA, myself included.

Vince
Old 10-07-2012, 10:00 AM

Last photo:

I got it guys, and I agree, I love the everything goes shows or get togethers too, I just miss the pre-48 runs.

It's like the Grand National auto show that use to be in Oakland California where they awarded the "America's Most Beautiful Roadster". It had a VERY strict guidelines for entry. First off, the car had to be FINISHED, all painted and upholstered. It had to be of a high quality build, it had to be NEW. They didn't take the same car year after year, there had to be major changes to the car to be allowed again (at least in consecutive years).

There were about 300 cars in the show and it WAS the best of the best, and it WAS one of the best shows in the country. You had to give them an application that included photos of the car! Your car was CHOSEN to go in there, you just didn't show up, and they sure as hell didn't let something like a bare metal cut up body with chicken wire in the grille into the building! We are talking the BEST OF THE BEST.

It was like going to a museum, it was such a great show. This doesn't mean I didn't like the neighborhood show with cars half done and such. But to be able to go to that show and KNOW you were going to see the best of the best, it was a treat.

NSRA and Goodguys when they started had shows for pre-49 only, they were "Street rod" shows, I loved them. I remember the first NSRA event that allowed some cars over 48, they went to 54 as I remember in about 1979 in Merced. Most were well greeted, they were customs, customs belong with street rods, it was cool.

Pre-49 cars are just a different kind of car, one that I loved to see without a 68 Camaro there, is there something wrong with that?

There is nothing wrong with the everything is allowed show, there are few people who will go and look with ernest appreciation and interest at cars of all styles more than me. I will look at a well built low rider 64' impala, a caged road racing 78' Fairmont, or a flipper hubcapped 36' Ford Roadster, they are all cool to me.

I just miss the "good ol days" of the pre-49 shows.

Brian
Old 10-07-2012, 10:05 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child View Post
I wasn't very happy about that 30 year rule that NSRA came up with, but have been to York, PA and Burlington, Vt several times since and gotta say, the very, very few cars that don't belong in ANY show were several pre '49s that should have been parts cars for better builds. This is Burlington a couple weeks ago and a few photos of about 2K cars that were there: Burlington 2012rev1 pictures by Irelandschild - Photobucket

What it boils down to is NSRA staying solvent so they can continue to put on decent weekend shows by trying to open it to others - and at least those two venues, it's working. Goodguy's - not so well IMO.

Dave W
And if that's what it takes just like the good guys raising it to the seventies, I understand. I also understand that as that 1948 figure gets further and further into history there are fewer cars and fewer people who build them. Which the "rat rod" craze pulled a bunch into the older cars, I am thankful for that. I hate the garbage style rat rod but still like the "Traditional" style that the young guys are building, believe me I WELCOME that as it keeps the earlier cars alive.

Brian
Old 10-07-2012, 10:08 AM

Last photo:

Thanks to Irelands Child for his photos from Burlington VT. I moved away from VT 15 years ago and would always go to the show. Great to see some of the sites at the fairgrounds. One picture had in the background Al's French Fries stand. They are the best and I can just taste them. Thanks
Old 10-07-2012, 10:15 AM

Last photo:

No Hi-Jack intended here, Brian.
I'm finally gonna get to go to California and meet up with Bad Rat and Dinger and ?etc?
We are going to the Hot Rod Reunion and Cacklefest out of Bakersfield at Famoso in a couple of weeks.
I hope I get to see at least "One of Everything".

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.