Remote - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2003, 08:31 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post Remote

I have a 76 Camaro that ill be putting engine in, i have always heard about putting a battery in remotely, i saw it done on a few cars so i wanted to do it to my own becouse, well the batery area is beat and old from the last owner not taking care of it to well so it rusted and coroded out.

what i want to know is, 1 how hard would it be to do this kinda mod, 2 where and how whould i run the cables from the rear to the front, in side, out side ect, 3, what size cable will i need to run this, i know with lenth you would need bigger cables for a High amp circut like that, any advice would be helpful

Thx, Camaro76

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2003, 09:17 AM

Last photo:

for the price you are going to have to spend to install the remote battery you could just as well rebuild where it goes.
You will need a battery box mounted in the trunk area 0 or 00 wire plus connectors then you can go two ways one groung the battery to the frame and then pick it up at the other end of the frame to the motor but you still have to run the postive cable to the front.
Two run both cables to the front.
I would add up the cost for the thing you will need to move the battery and then add up what it will cost to replace what is messed up on yours now.
I install second battery systems for sterios all the time and use gelcell batteries.total is around 250-350 depending on the connector and which wire the customer picks(ie.standard 00,gold 00, plus the mfg of the wire.)
hopes this give you something to think on.
let me know what you want to do
Old 01-09-2003, 12:07 PM

Last photo:

If there was enough left up at the original place for the batery i would just rebuild it, hell that was my first idea till i took out the batery and seen just how bad it was!

The way it is set now is + goes to the starter
and the - goes to the altinator bracket and a small lead going to the body. If i can get away with just running one wire that would be ideal, however im not sure if the grouning will work. I believe my car is a uni-body car, it uses a subframe for the engine. the subframe is mounted on rubber bushings, so would i have to run a wire from Batery, to car frame, to sub-frame, to engine block? and with all these connections wouldn't the resistance get higher and higher with each connection? ill be doing a votage drop test once and when these gets done anyway to make sure everything is OK

for the positive side how and where would i run that wire? would it be wise to run it inside or outside the car? If i run it ouside what kinda protection do i have to have for the wire agenst road debris and exhaust heat and other things?

thx for your help again
Camaro76
Old 01-09-2003, 06:53 PM

Talking

If there was enough left up at the original place for the batery i would just rebuild it, hell that was my first idea till i took out the batery and seen just how bad it was!

I like meanmachine's idea of new tray, rebuild area, still alot less expensive than running cables from back to terminal. If you put it in the trunk I recommend a shut off switch and jumper terminals. I like the looks of the cleaner engine compartment but also need trunk space. Recently moved mine from trunk to under fender well.
Good luck
Old 01-10-2003, 12:59 PM

Last photo:

im not to worryed about trunk space or realy the cost so much, if i had a way to show you what im talking about im sure most of you would agree i should just no drop money and rebuild and just relocate, its pretty bad up there, the batery as iss just kinda sits in a little cranny where the bater was supost to be, the radiator, headlight asembly fender and a bar is onlthing holds it there, 1/4 of the tray exixts still.

why would i need a kill switce, jumper terminals and all that for a relocation, im not raceing this thing anywhere, just need a more secure place for the battery,

what gage wire to i need?
what would be the easyest way of running the wires?
do i realy need jumper terms, kill switch, ect?
do i run inside, or outside the car?

trunk space is not realy that important, cost will be dealt with, easy to do and reliablity of job is key

thx
Camaro76
Old 01-10-2003, 01:51 PM

There is a kit that you can buy from Summitracing.com and it gives you enough wire to go from front to back. It's about 40 dollars.
Old 01-10-2003, 06:20 PM

Well, sounds like the trunk is a good place for your battery. I would install a shut off switch (not kill switch) at a convienent location (not in the trunk) just in case my wires started smokin I wouldn't have to fiddle for right key to open trunk, a battery box and cover to shut off power. Jumper contacts up front so if you do have to jump it jumper current doesent have to travel as far, can't jump thru a bad battery. Switch and Terminals are probably about $20. If your wires are in as bad of shape as you say the rest of the car is, I'd spend the extra bucks for it. This is only my 2 cents and only meant to be helpful and I hope it is. Good luck

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.