Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (
-   Suspension - Brakes - Steering (
-   -   Remote brake reservoir (

boggie 11-29-2012 09:36 AM

Remote brake reservoir
Need a little help on making a remote brake reservoir filler cap. [vette style cap] Can not find one to buy, do not know how to go through seal on cap.

sedanbob 11-29-2012 11:40 AM

Here's a link to a place selling remote reservoirs and the lids for the master - they have several styles. Streetrod Stuff - Brake System - PRC Remote Master Cylinder Reservoir

boggie 11-30-2012 08:54 AM

I have seen this but i was going to make my own as it is very easy to make and also save $150.
Just do not know how to attach hose through rubber seal.

Thanks for the reply , boggie

ogre 11-30-2012 11:03 AM

there are many vette style mc and caps. post a pic of the type of mc you have if you have a specific need.
most caps cannot be converted as they don't seal well and are vented, you would need to make one.
make sure any parts you use are brake fluid tolerant, no rubber or rtv
the link sedanbob posted would be easy to make with a chunk of aluminum, a brass fitting and a reservoir.
i was able to convert my ford mc into a remote reservoir using junk yard parts and teflon hose.

sedanbob 11-30-2012 11:20 AM

The cover for the master cylinder is just a block of aluminum, about 3/8" thick, with a brass fitting tapped into the top. The hold downs for mine (single bale) is two "j" bolts that hook into the master where the spring bale did. If yours is the double bale, you would just have twice as many j bolts. The gasket is a flat piece of rubber 1/8" thick that has one large single hole that spans both chambers. The hose could just be a flexible brake hose (so it's impervious to brake fluid), and the reservoir could be fancy or plain - lots of modern cars use a plastic reservoir.

boggie 12-03-2012 08:13 AM

I was thinking along the same lines, but needed to know if anyone had tried this and what would work best.
Looks like it will work, simple and quick to build.
Thanks again for the reply. Boggie

Jackmite 12-05-2012 05:07 AM

There are several vetch style as well as caps. post a pic of the kind of you have should you have a specific need to have. Most caps can't be converted as it doesn't seal well and are vented, you might need to make one. Be sure any parts you employ are brake liquid tolerant

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.