Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Remote breather/oil fill, any ideas?
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2007, 07:33 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbogie
One could consider coming off the timing case cover. The accessories and their drives plus the water pump would provide visual concealment. The forward bulkhead would provide the much needed separation between the vent and the crankcase helping keep oil out of the vent. Boring holes in the timing case cover has less expensive impacts to the engine than having something go wrong with a hole you just put in a major casting like the block.

Bogie
i thought about that also, but the accessories, waterpump will also restrict you from getting anything large enough to use as an oil fill, mine is for an early application so i am useing the short water pump. i would also wonder about the possability of oil occasionally being tossed into the vent by the chain, like heavy braking when oil runs to the front of the pan. with as much grinding, modifying as i do on my engines boring one more hole in a casting doesnt bother me at all. my engine is going in a an early vette and that is where it will stay unless it blows up and then having an extra hole in the block wont make any difference. but your suggestion is another creative solution and that is what the OP asked for.