Hot Rod Forum banner

Remote reservoir hose Q...

855 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  S10xGN 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I'm at a point in my Rambler project where I need to start building the brake system. I have a Tilton remote reservoir that will supply a Wilwood triple reverse-hung pedal assembly. The (3/8") hose barbs on the reservoir point straight down and I have found some 90° 1/8 NPT x 3/8" hose barb fittings for the cylinders. Since there's only about 4" height and 8" lateral difference in the hose end locations, I'll need very flexible, short bend-radius hose that won't kink. Tilton has a disclaimer on their reservoirs: "Warning: PTFE, EPDM or SBR hose must be used." I can't see any of these having a bend radius (around 3") that will work, any ideas on what kind of hose/tubing will work with DOT4 fluid and actually bend w/o kinking?

Russ

#3 ·
No, the reservoir I bought has 3/8" hose barbs molded into the tank(s). Although, I could slice them off and tap the base for ORB fittings... I'd rather see about the hose options first, got an e-mail in to Tilton to get their opinion.

Russ

#4 ·
Actually, if you use convoluted -6 PTFE hose, it has a bend radius as small as 2" (I believe you will have to get it at an Industrial Hose Dealer though)-

I just plumbed my Trans Cooler with regular -6 PTFE Hose last weekend (I used Russell Hose/Fittings-which I believe are made by Aeroquip), and it has a 4" bend Radius, so it is possible-

#6 ·
All the PTFE hose I've seen is metal-braid covered, so that's out and SBR hose starts at 1" ID. did find some EPDM hose on McMaster-Carr with a 3" bend radius, but 3/8" hose has an 11/16" OD. Tilton wrote back that they have seen people use silicone hose but they have not done any testing on that hose with brake fluid. I'll Google silicone hose properties later today...

Russ

#8 ·
I did sort of the same thing to plumb some -10 braided line to my pump. I had to make a fitting to do it but it worked well and looks pretty good.
The hose fitting attached to the pump.

This is the fitting I made to adapt the -10 fitting to the 3/4" hose barb on the pump.

hope this helps. :)
Mark

#9 ·
The "base" of the res appears to be 1/2" thick, so I'm leaning towards zipping off the barbs and tapping for 1/4" NPT. That way, I can use whatever pipe-to-hose fitting is convenient, be it barbs or AN. 90°'s would be great, but there may be a problem wiggling the reservoir in place with them screwed in. Pretty sure a 45° AN pipe adapter would fit, then some push-lock hose with 45° and straight ends would be a straight shot...

Russ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.