removal & installation windshield - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2006, 08:41 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

removal & installation windshield

Im getting started on my 84 monte ss. There is rust spots around the windows on the car. I have never removed a windshield before(at least not on purpose) I dont wont to damage the glass. What do i need(special tools?) to remove and reinstall the front and back windshields. Also the little side back windows need removed also. I have already took the trim off around the back and front windows.
Thanks
Aaron

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2006, 09:04 PM

Last journal entry: final pics of first engine swap
Last photo:

I have been wanting to do the same thing, but from seeing a few other quite mechanically inclined people pulling off the windshield swap for the 1st time its quite a task. Especially trying to reuse the window without cracking it. I'm not saying don't try it. Just the funny things they say if they could do it again. One guy mentioned it took him for the first time 8 hours to finish and saved himself $60. He said if he could do it again, it would have been by someone experienced plus to help show him how its done and help make him faster at it. But I think its still worth a try. I'm still too afraid to pull it off. Next project I will. Mainly a pride thing that I did it all myself.

Heres the back window of an 82 not worth mentioning that I took off. Not much older than yours. But theres some rust too.

Sorry I couldn't take you through the process, and the back window I used a molding remover like a thick L shaped screw driver to gently take out the thick rubber seal thats between the window and metal.

It was hard for me to search on a how to guide for replacing windshields. I
did find a place where you can at least see what tools and adhesives you'll need. hth http://www.windshieldsupplies.net/xc...-p-1-c-75.html

Last edited by Danny G.; 05-05-2006 at 03:08 AM. Reason: tool site
Old 05-06-2006, 12:48 PM

Thanks for the help. I hate to have to haul the car somewhere to have it done. Also, im like you. I want to do it all myself.
thanks
aaron
Old 05-07-2006, 07:59 AM
autoglass master tech

Last photo:

Gearhead,
You really should have a glass co. come do the removal and then reinstall. The glass in a car is not a part, it's a safety feature. Their should be a mobile glass co. in your area that will come to you. The urethane in the 80's car is more like concrete, that crap is hard. The glass co. won't guarantee against breakage but there's a better chance that they can get it out than you. If you do break them their about 200.00 ea. to replace with new. That's in this area anyways.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:33 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50 chevy p/u
Gearhead,
You really should have a glass co. come do the removal and then reinstall. The glass in a car is not a part, it's a safety feature. Their should be a mobile glass co. in your area that will come to you. The urethane in the 80's car is more like concrete, that crap is hard. The glass co. won't guarantee against breakage but there's a better chance that they can get it out than you. If you do break them their about 200.00 ea. to replace with new. That's in this area anyways.
I sure agree to that...several of the local body shops depends on their glass guy to come and do that sort of thing..

Sam
Old 05-07-2006, 11:55 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,220 Times in 1,076 Posts
I also recommend having a glass shop remove them. They are not "that hard" but, it is usually pretty good money spent to have someone else do it if it is not your bag.

If you do go for it, you can get a "cut out knife" at the autobody paint store that works like a charm on the rear glass. It is tempered and pretty darn hard to damage. I have cut out MANY of them using this knife. The front, that is another story. Again, I have cut out MANY of them using a cut out knife, I did this before I was told you could "Never" cut one out without breaking the glass. Darn, I didn't get that memo until I had cut out MANY of them without breaking the glass. But I am told it can't be done.

This is what I would do, IF, I was to go ahead and do it myself. I would get a cut out knife, remove the rear one first. Just let the knife do the cutting of the URETHANE and NOT force it thru letting it bind into the edge of the glass. Make the blade "float" THRU the middle of the urethane.

After doing that you will have some practice and experiance enough to know whether you should get anywhere near that windshield. At that point, either go for it or have it done.

OPTION:

Go for it and cut the windshield out, be damned the breakage and then replace the glass with new which is what you should do anyway! You have a 20 year old windshield, it is not perfect, full of little chips and marks. After painting your car, there is nothing like looking down your new shinny new painted hood thru a new crystal clear windshield. I have replaced many with new just for this reason.

Brian
Old 05-07-2006, 02:35 PM

Thanks brian, I think im going to give it a shot. Worst that can happen, I would have to put a new windsheild in. What about the little side glasses on the monte carlo. The trim is different on them.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:08 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,220 Times in 1,076 Posts
Sorry, I can't remember at all how those are held in. I can ask my glass man tomorrow though.

Brian
Old 05-08-2006, 08:19 PM

Thanks brian,
Let me know what he says
aaron

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.