Removal of paint over spray??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2003, 08:10 AM
BUILD IT RIGHT, TWIST IT TIGHT !!!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Removal of paint over spray???

Hello,
I have a question about what product or method to use to remove spray paint over spray. My kids were painting my headers silver and the doors were up but I guess the wind brought it back in . Now the truck has a light dusting of high temp silver paint on it. I am a little concerned about it, because it was on the rad support and when I laid my arm across it, it smeared silver all over my arm and the support.

I am going to try and spray it off with water and let it sit with soap and see how that does, I will probaly end up compounding it.

Any info will be greatly appreciated, being that paint is not my thing.

Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2003, 08:31 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Turtle wax should take it right off with normal waxing effort. Truck probably needs a good wax job anyway!
Old 07-31-2003, 05:22 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by willys36@aol.com
Truck probably needs a good wax job anyway!
and it would give the kids something to do this afternoon....
Old 08-01-2003, 07:59 PM

I don't mean to be contrary here, but I wouldn't wax over over spray. I'd suggest you use a surface preparation bar, sometimes called clay bars to remove the overspay then wax. Any decent detail supply place should have one. The often come in different types based on levels of aggression. I almost always use the one made by Erazer. http://www.erazer.com/products.http

Take Care,
Robert
Old 08-01-2003, 08:13 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Robert... As much as I hate to defend Willy, I think he is thinking of the olden days type of wax. Not the wipe on, wipe off, sissy type of crap they sell at Kmart. The paste type of wax that also works like a real mild polishing compound. It doesn't hurt the paint, except for the occasional "shock factor" from introducing a new process. LOL

It does work quite well on overspray that hasn't actually made good adheasion. It looks good when done too, except for the rest of the vehicle that doesn't shine.
Old 08-01-2003, 09:56 PM

I'm not trying to be insulting or arrogant, really. It's just been my experience (twenty five years in the business) that waxing over over spray makes it more difficult to remove later. Waxing over overspray will make the car feel cleaner than it really is. Also, most cars have overspray, fallout or just really stuck down dirt and can use being clayed anyway. Finally, using a clay bar to break off all the contamination makes polishing and waxing a whole lot more effective because you don't have the big chunks of overspray or dirt or whatever getting into your polish or wax and making scratches in the paint. You get a better more consistent finish.

Take Care,
Robert
Old 08-01-2003, 11:59 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

My experience is that good old liquid Turtle wax has enough abrasives and solvents in it that it will dissolve over-spray, not wax over it. Obviously, if a small patch doesn't work don't keep waxing over the entire over-spray. But if you are reticent to try that, by all means try something you have confidence will work.
Old 08-02-2003, 07:06 AM

Honestly, if Turtle Wax works great, but as you said, if you give it a try and it doesn't, don't loose the link to the clay bar.

Take Care,
Robert
Old 08-02-2003, 09:07 AM
Acoustic Rock ... for real.

Last journal entry: About Fusible Links
Last photo:

You mean the REAL link? :
http://www.erazer.com/products.htm

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup
Old 08-02-2003, 09:26 AM

Yes! Thanks!

Thank you, thank you, thank you. And anyone who wants to take overspray, fallout, etc. off their paint fast and easy thanks you too, lol.

Incompetently yours,
Robert
Old 08-02-2003, 05:32 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Just wax it with a "cleaner" wax, like Turtle, or there are others out there. Just make sure it is a "cleaner" wax. It will take the overspray off. Almost all cleaner waxes are compatible with BC/CC paints also. Should be no problem removing the overspray at all. Basically this is what is done when they call in companies to clean cars that have been sitting around when they paint the neighborhood water towers and get overspray on them.

Kevin
Old 08-03-2003, 09:37 AM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

Just to insert something else here from experience, I would never recommend a cleaner type wax on clear coat , as it will leave a hazy surface on the clear. The clay bars work good on most smooth surfaces.

From reading the original post, the over spray problem is under the hood. No smooth surfaces. So you could probably get by using a cleaner type polish. Maguires products are paint safe, and have several cleaners that will do the trick.

HTH
Good Luck
Troy
Old 08-04-2003, 08:08 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by troy-curt
Just to insert something else here from experience, I would never recommend a cleaner type wax on clear coat , as it will leave a hazy surface on the clear. The clay bars work good on most smooth surfaces.
I've heard that too but I wax my cars with anything lying around - haven't found any difference beteween the easy to use liquids and $uper double throwdown $$pastes and polymers$$ - and get as good results with anything I have used. Car gets real shiny for a month or so then needs redone. I haven't had the hazing problem. I like Turtle liquid for getting the gunk off chrome and when the car finish is really tired. I like Mother's paste when the finish is in good shape and just needs a little more shine 'cause it smells like cherries.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:48 AM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

Mothers is my choice to,it is a good wax. I very seldom use a wax on my cars. I mostly use a glaze and polish that is paint safe
(can be painted over) But I have seen a lot of hazing on clear coat paint.

An experience I had a few years ago opened my eyes about glazes.

I was touring the ISCA show circuit, doing a show at Houston Texas in the Astrodome, on move in day . I had just gone over my car with several coats of mothers before leaving home. While setting up for the show I put another coat on, And thought it really shined. A friend of mine from Dallas stopped by to BS, he always had good looking paint. during the conversation I asked what he used on his car.(the big boys used unmarked bottles for there polishes)So he went and got his bottle ,I did a two foot circle on my rear deck(black rose pearl). Well I had to do the whole car again to match it. The difference under those lights was like day and night. The product was Maguires SPEED GLAZE
the most remarkable polish I have ever seen. From then on I used a unmarked bottle. Even the judges told me my paint had improved,it was deeper and clearer looking.

Boy thats a quarters Worth.

Troy
Old 03-18-2010, 08:48 PM
Paint Overspray Technician

How To Clay Epoxy Paint Without Scuffing Your Vehicle

My name is Jeff Suggs. Follow these directions and you can clay your own vehicle. First of all, never clean your car in the sun because you will scuff the paint. Wash the car and dry it off thoroughly in the shade. Go online and look for Auto Magic. You want to purchase one gallon of BC-2 pink wax and one blue bar of clay (fine grade). Put a thin coat of BC-2 wax on the vehicle. Get a spray bottle and fill it with water and one squirt of Ivory dish washing liquid. Next take the water and soap solution and clay one fender at a time through the wax. This will prevent friction. Make sure that you clay using up and down motions, no circling motions. The circling motions are what will cause scuffing marks. If you clay through the wax, you will prevent this. After you've clayed a fender, wipe off the residue to make sure the overspray is gone. Repeat this process over the entire vehicle, one panel at a time. If you would like to see the process, refer to my Youtube site: Jeffsuggs
I hope this answered your question. If you would like to reply back to me, my email is jeffoverspraytech@hotmail.com
For more detailed information, check out my websites: paintoversprayremovaloftexas or mobileoversprayremovaloftexas

Last edited by jeff suggs; 03-18-2010 at 08:59 PM. Reason: i want to place a picture on reply

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.