Hot Rod Forum banner

removal of tree sap

948 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  sportbikeluvr 
#1 ·
Anybody know a good way to remove dried on tree sap? I just bought a car for my kid and it had been sitting under several trees for the past 4 months. There are a few spots that are still tacky but most are rock hard.

#2 ·
Stea,
Try this, put a sprinkler on the car for 30 minutes then mix some "Automatic dishwasher soap" in a bucket of warm/hot water.
Just try and wash off a spot and if that don't work let the soap set on the panel for about 5 minutes and try to wash off.
Also you may try one of those Teflon scrubbers your wife uses on
pans so she don't scratch them. (she won't miss it)

If that don't do it I have herd the "clay bar" will remove it but I have never tried it to know for sure.

#4 ·
Have you tried a pressure washer? If you presoak the car with soap at your local car wash and then spend some time with the pressure washer I would think that it would come clean. You might give it a few times around with soap to give it a chance to penetrate the gummy mess.

Chris

#5 ·
After you wash off as much as you can, buy yourself a clay bar. I have used it for this exact purpose, and nothing worked as well as this did, not even close. There are a few deiiferent types out there, but I know Mother's sells a small kit that has a spray bottle with the bar. This clay pulls out tree sap, impacted dirt particles etc. When you get done, you can skate a rag across it like you will not believe. I myself then go ahead with a polyurethane wax which makes my truck look awesome, well for a 97 it is awesome. I have to park under trees all year long, so I understand what you are talking about. I have tried em all, the bar has been the best for me.

#6 ·
Last yr I had a similiar problem but it wasnt on the car quite that long. I tried one of those spray on tar removers and it barely did the job w/out feeling like my arms were about to tear out of the sockets. So I moved onto a WARM water wash w/ very soapy water, I was done in less than 15 minutes! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.