Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   remove swirls and lite sand marks (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/remove-swirls-lite-sand-marks-221178.html)

f/bird 06-30-2012 07:49 PM

remove swirls and lite sand marks

What ,If any product will help remove light sand and flaws after car has been wet sanded and wheeled ? Has not been final wheeled yet . Just want to polish up the rest of car for now .still waiting for a door and 1 fender to get wet sanded and buffed . I wanted to go to a car show and won't have it all done by then ! Thanks

mitmaks 06-30-2012 07:53 PM

Meguiar's has "swirl remover" compound, works pretty good.

tech69 07-02-2012 10:32 AM

if you have sand scratches in it you should go back to square one of compounding, whether that be foam or wool. This is if your scratch is 1500-2000. If it's something below that you should wet sand the area with 1500- 2000 then step up to 2500-3000.

The biggest mistake I have seen in cutting and buffing is people going off to the next stage before they're even done compounding. You generally want to get everything in the compound stage or damn close to it. This makes the following steps very easy.

John long 07-02-2012 07:20 PM

Tech69 is giving you good advice. If there are sand scratches remaining after the initial buff, more than likely you did not cut it enough with the last color sand. You need to go back and re-color sand that area and then buff again. The whole cut and buff process is a matter of progressively going to finer and finer imperfections IE orange peal, sand scratches, nibs etc. You can't sucessfully go to the next step until the previous one is performed successfully.

Good luck and keep us posted.

John L

deadbodyman 07-03-2012 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitmaks (Post 1569913)
Meguiar's has "swirl remover" compound, works pretty good.

Thats my choice too then their machine glaze after that...:thumbup:

deadbodyman 07-03-2012 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tech69 (Post 1570276)
if you have sand scratches in it you should go back to square one of compounding, whether that be foam or wool. This is if your scratch is 1500-2000. If it's something below that you should wet sand the area with 1500- 2000 then step up to 2500-3000.

The biggest mistake I have seen in cutting and buffing is people going off to the next stage before they're even done compounding. You generally want to get everything in the compound stage or damn close to it. This makes the following steps very easy.

Also very true and I'm guilty of it myself....always in a rush to get the drudgery of buffing over with...
What happened to the spell check button anyway?

tech69 07-03-2012 08:21 PM

Can't say I haven't done it before. Usually when I don't wash the car to take off the fillers then proceed to the next step before really knowing what's REALLY there. I have a habit of washing a corner off with dawn after compounding and counting up the overlaps of compound it took to get there and then just trusting it's gonna work out like that everywhere. :D It usually works...usually :cool: