Hot Rod Forum banner

removed paint with a 80 grit flap wheel

5K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  tech69 
#1 ·
i removed my paint witha 80 grit flap wheel down 2 the bare metal i prime it with high build primer my question is how do i cover up all those scratches high n low spots that i cut into the metal with the flap wheel after spraying the high build primer i can still see the scratches

#5 ·
TMACPRO said:
i removed my paint witha 80 grit flap wheel down 2 the bare metal i prime it with high build primer my question is how do i cover up all those scratches high n low spots that i cut into the metal with the flap wheel after spraying the high build primer i can still see the scratches
you mean all the warpage created by the flap disk? Flap disks are great but you can't use them on huge open panels like hoods or decklids or roofs. Don't get me wrong, they take off paint fast and love them, but those darn angle grinders don't have variable speed or most you see in the shop don't have that function. Gotta be very careful with those.

I'd put the car in the sun or wait til the primer shrinks back down. Should have went over it again with a da and 80 grit . You can poly putty the big stuff but I'd just rely on the primer to take care of it. This is something you should have done to begin with...take care of the big stuff, pile on some primer, and see where you're at. I'm talking polyester primer, which is suitable for covering stuff. So if you don't have any I'd get some. you can always 2k your final application of primer if that's what you want. I'd be more concerned with checking the hood, roof, and deck lid, unless you are a fully aware of the warpage issues you can get with a flap disk. Thing that sucks is the texture you're left with from a flap disk make it hard to hand feel any warpage. You have to smooth out the surface a little to get a good read with your hand.

Anyhow, I'd first check warpage on those panels I mentioned, then hit the big gouges, and then featherfill the rest. You'd hate to only focus on the scratches and realize later that you have been piling on primer on warped panels.

As Johny said, you can also jamb super tight apps of filler than just block it out. The tighter the better obviously and if you plan on featherfilling it after you don't have to put thick apps of filler.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.