removeing stuck bolts - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2004, 06:01 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Angry removeing stuck bolts

i am trying to remove the hinge bolts on my 51 ford. what is the best way to get them loose without striping the ends. they are stuck pretty tight, the reason i am takeing them off is becasue i need to replace the hinge pin and with the way the door is set up i half to remove it .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2004, 07:02 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

Small tip on a hot wrench and apply heat directly to the bolt head....get it red hot if you can and put a 6 sided socket rather than a 12 sided socket on it and break it loose. If it is really stuck it may break off so be prepared to drill out the bolt and remove it with and easy out.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!
Old 10-21-2004, 07:36 PM

Tighten it a little before trying to loosen it. If you can get to the threaded end, apply PB blaster and let sit over night. If you don't have access to an acetylene rig, a propane torch can be used.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:00 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Removing rusted bolt basics
One of the first jobs I ever had was at a shop doing full on restorations on vintage Fords (we specialized in model 40s 1933-34). By boss taught me MANY things I use every day. One of them was the best trick for getting rusted bolts out that I have ever tried.
You need your torch with a small tip.
Take the torch and make a perfect flame like you are going to weld. Heat the bolt head up till it starts to turn red. (If the bolt is already broken off you will need to saw a grove to use a flat blade screwdriver or have enough to grab with locking pliers) Then quickly cool it with a squirt bottle of water. Repeat, heat it, then cool it. Do this a number of times and the bolt WILL turn right out. If you can, heat the nut around the bolt right before you try turning it out, BUT DON'T HEAT THE BOLT. This will expand the nut from around the bolt. I have did this on Model A door hinges, if you are not familiar with them, it is a 5/16 bolt with a little flat blade screw driver head! A ridiculous design that rusted in to tight to remove around 1950! You can imagine how hard they are to remove in 2000. I have did these with total success, only needing a regular hand screw driver about 99% of the time.

The way I figure the heating and cooling expands and contracts the screw breaking it loose from the rusts grip.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:01 PM
Old enough to know better

If you can get an impact wrench on it, use light to moderate power and let it rattle for a while. PB or AeroKroil is always the best way to start.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:34 PM
Sloe Lurner

Last journal entry: front boxing plates
Last photo:

Rusted nuts on corviar manifold..

I've just purchaed a used Corvair engine that probably has never had the nuts removed from the manifold at least since from 1965. they pretty much look orange and fuzzy. I've been soaking them in penatrant. Is there any brand in particular I should be using. so far... they are still tight. If I heat them should I heat the stud or the nut?? I dont want to hurt the threads in the aluminum from turning to tightly.

Old 10-21-2005, 08:15 PM
never 2 old to learn

removing stuck bolts

I have had good luck with the heating up and cooling with water trick and also with heating the bolt and then melting wax down onto the threads. Both seem to work well.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:14 PM

Last wiki edit: How to document your project
Last journal entry: 1949 Olds -- Rotisserie, pt. 9
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

As cletis said, PB blaster and time work in many cases. It's a lot less drastic, too. I've had them go from unmovable to easy after several treatments. Spray 'em, try 'em, if nothing moves at all, wait and repeat the next day. If you ever get it to budge the least bit, spray and wait again. The tiniest back and forth movement will eventually allow the penetrant to do its job. Be as patient as possible, if you intend to salvage the fastener or don't want to heat the area.
Old 10-22-2005, 08:21 AM

Last photo:

PB blaster in addition to the heat cool trick. I have removed a great many rusted bolts over the years and it is simply amazing how deep that stuff will penetrate into rusted threads. The key word here is patience, don't rush give these things time to work and whatever else you do don't force it and in most cases you will be rewarded with success no matter how hopelessly rusted it appears.

PB blaster
WD 40
Old 10-22-2005, 09:53 AM

Last photo:

rusted bolts

Aerokroil, best stuff I have ever used.Doing a "body off" 37 Chevy and we hit everything with Aerokroil prior to starting teardown, didnt break anything,used no heat,nothing had to be drilled out. Stuff works,
Old 10-22-2005, 11:05 AM

Last journal entry: 65 mustang 351w efi
Last photo:

I use AGCO Panther Penetrating Oil P\N 79016936 Nothing I have tried even
comes close to eating away the rust.
http://www.agcomediaplace.com/html/qplineart.htm
Old 10-27-2005, 12:17 PM

Last photo:

Best way

The best way that i have ever used is get some candle wax or any other type of wax and heat it up and just drip it onto the stuck bolt work really well. But even a better way for doing that is drip the wax on either side of the bolt then from the other side heat it therfor the was will run down the bolt following the threads and that bolt will come out like it was brand new.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.