Hot Rod Forum banner

Removing 1953 Chevy Suburban dash

5K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  53LEDSLED 
#1 ·
The previous owner cut a hole in my lower dash for stereo installation. Kinda sucks considering the dash already had a spot for a stereo. I'm debating removing my hacked dash and installing a donor dash. Does anyone have an assembly manual or something that detail's the removal process? I could repair my dash but, if replacing with a donor isn't much tougher, I'd go that route. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
If I remember correctly the dash is made as a part of the body structure and is welded in. Would be easier most likely to repair what you have. Member Centerline has a nice website regarding modifying the dash in his '53 Chevy pick-up http://www.hotrodsandhemis.com/. Look for the button on the left for the 1953 Chevy truck.

Good luck with your Suburban. I'll be starting on my '48 Suburban after the current project is finished.

#3 ·
they are spot welded in & are a PITA to remove but a little less of a PITA to install. you'll need thin/sharp chisels or a drill & bit to either cut it out or to remove the spot welds.
i used a chisel, but then i had NO CHOICE since i didnt know what i was getting into & had just drove 12+ hrs to get Large Marge (my bus). just take ur time IF you decide to remove it. i "HAD" to put one in mine since the was NONE. if i had a choice on what i WOULD of done, i would 1st try to repair yours.

always remember to use the KISS method...
Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

Please don't take that the wrong way but its true, IF you can do it a simpler way by all means do it.....joe

#4 ·
Ya - it's spot-welded in and would be really tough to get out. Even if you got it out, removed another one from a donor, you'd still have to repair the holes you drilled out for the spot welds. Maybe you could patch in a panel from another truck? Should be pretty easy to find one. I've got the assembly manual, there isn't really enough detail in there for what you're looking for.

When do we get to see some pics of your '53? I'm hoping to get back to my '52 soon. As long as I get mine done before Advanced Design, I'll be happy! :)

#6 ·
Thanks for all your feedback, it's much appreciated. I haven't figured out how or where to post the pictures of my project. I've searched the Hotrodders site a little, but haven't found how to do it yet. When I do, I'll post up a bunch of pictures. I look forward to seeing your Suburban pictures as you guys progress.

#7 ·
Sly,

It is good to run into another Suburban fan. Not many out there. Stinkin'V8 is way more technologically advanced than I and even has his own website. Check under frame swaps in this forum at the beginning of suspensions.

Soon as I get the '35 Master Coupe finished will start on the Suburban. Then maybe I'll learn to load pictures too.

Have fun with yours!

#10 ·
Hehe.. AD is selling himself short. :) I may have started first but that doesn't count anymore when I haven't touched the thing for a year and a half. It should be a good race and if I recall correctly, the loser has to drive their Sub to the winner's house for beers? No small task, we're talking around 1500 miles. :)

Maybe we should make it so the winner has to come over and help me finish mine? :)

I'm hoping to have my wife's little hotrod on the streets in July, which frees up my time (and some space in the garage) for the Suburban. You can check out my lack of progress here

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.