Removing 50 years of crap from frame and suspension components - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2005, 12:04 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Removing 50 years of crap from frame and suspension components

Ok, give me some ideas here.
I have a a thick layer of grime, grease and red clay covering my frame and suspension on my '53 Chevy. What's the best way to remove this?
I got on it with some scrapers, chisels and screwdrivers and walked away in utter disgust an hour later out of lack of progress.
I then tried a cheapo 1300 PSI electric pressure washer and that didn't make much more than a dent in it.
What's a better way to go about doing this?

I've thought about sandblasting, but my funds aren't exactly plentiful, and I'm not sure my air compressor (33gal, 5 HP, 6 cfm@90psi) is up to snuff for sandblasting. I've thought about picking up one of those cheap siphon feed blaster units just to see if it would do anything, but i'm not really expecting it to do any good.

Hopefully some of you guys more knowledgble than I can give me some ideas or tips. I really need 'em...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2005, 12:11 PM
489 Lemans

Last journal entry: Street Legal
Last photo:

pressure washer

hot water in the pressure washer. cold water won't cut it. better yet rent a steam cleaner. i have one that runs on 220. it has a gas fired water tank. it will peel the white off rice.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:51 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

angle grinder and a wire wheel.

or soak it in MEK and Castrol supergreen. the MEK will knock you out, open the windows. then hit it with the angle grinder and wire wheel.

MEK= Methyl Ethyl Ketone. get it at hardware stores in a gallon can.

I have a friend, he swears by pinesol and diesel. it works.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:54 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Scrape, scrape, scrape........scrub, scrub, scrub.....shake your bootie.............

Don't know if the hot water in the pressure washer will work, might............will get a lot of it off anyways.

Frame cleaning is one of those dirty jobs that is the least fun, but the most gratifying about building a car........................gotta be done.....get under there.....make sure it's blocked up safely though...............the higher you can get it, the easier it is.

Budget RVs
Old 03-20-2005, 02:07 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

slow progress but worth the effort...

scrape it and wire wheel it and then maybe pressure wash it and prime and paint it.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!
Old 03-20-2005, 02:58 PM

Last journal entry: The Chevy Bench Seat - Part 52
Last photo:

We used some El Cheapo store brand oven cleaner. I figured it was made to remove baked on grease, and that's basically what you're dealing with. Shoot it on, let it sit about 20-30 minutes, then blast it off with the pressure washer. You might have to give it a couple of applications to get through all the crud, but it will work.

On the '55 frame, it took off the grease, crud, road muck, and the even coat of motor oil left behind by the frame lubricating engine that had been previously installed. Takes a lot of the paint off too, so be ready for that. About the only thing it doesn't remove is rust. It'll soften heavy rust build up, which will then blast off when you hit it with the pressure washer, but it won't clean it off down to bare metal. We used probably 2 dozen cans of the cheapest oven cleaner we could find, and that cost us about $30.00, then we sand blasted the whole thing to get rid of any residue, rust, or stubborn paint.

Since you already have the pressure washer, get a can or two and give it a shot. If it doesn't work as well as you want it to, you're only out about $2.50.

Oh, and make sure to observe all the cautions and warnings on the can - that stuff will burn the bejezus out of your skin, lungs, eyes, or whatever else you happen to expose it to.

Good Luck, Bro - but I'll tell you, no matter which way you go, it's a dirty, messy job.
Old 03-20-2005, 03:20 PM

hey coming apart, isn't our red AR clay wonderful! hard layer of stuff isn't it? my 50 sport coupe is the same way. i got a wild hair one night & took an air chisel to some of it. did a great job knocking it off but of course it left some gouges & nicks i didn't care for. then i remembered the needle guns we used in the coast guard to chip paint with. ( you navy guys will remember them too ). they're also used in welding shops for slag removal. these things will remove thick layers of paint, heavy rust scale & all manner of crud & corruption without damage too the metal underneath. you can pull the trigger while holding the needles to your hand. they are available at just about any tool rental store. even if i was going to sand blast my frame ( & i probably won't. ) i'd use the needle gun 1st on all that thick crud not to waste sand & compressed air. haven't actually tried this yet but i know it'll work & am definitely going to. after doing this 1st all the aforementioned methods can be used with much greater sucess.
i'm in perry county about 35 miles west of little rock, whereabouts are you?
Old 03-20-2005, 03:22 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

i can't believe i forgot oven cleaner. the dollar store cheap stuff works fine. in fact, if it were me, i'd go get some and start with that. it works better on a warm surface. let it sit in the sun.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:27 PM
old car nut

Last photo:

I have been doing early cars (1900-1930) for forty years and the best stuff I have found for doing the job is a pump oil can filled with laquer thinner. Oven cleaner will work (it is lye in a preasurized can) and it is dangerous to work with. A spray can with thinner in it is safer and will cut through everything. Squirt it on and let it set then scrape it off with a putty knife. Don't forget that the old grease, dirt and oil is very flamable and you need to get rid of rags and the material in a safe manner or else you are liable to have spontanous combustion. Make sure you wear a good set of gloves (preferable leather) when do this work as you can end up with a nasty cut. Also eye protection and a hat. Lots of luck
Jan
Old 03-25-2005, 06:25 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Go to your local rental place and rent a high pressure, pressure washer with a cutter tip. The cutter tip comes out in a straighter stream and spirals the water. I used this when I stripped paint off of the garage floor. It does wonders and will eat the concrete away if not constantly moving. You hit a piece of wood with it and it just tears it to pieces.

Kevin
Old 03-25-2005, 07:11 AM

Last photo:

Not sure how far south you are but, I took my '49 Chevy truck frame to the Sandman here in North Little Rock and had it sand blasted for around 100 bucks. For all the time and energy spent doing it by hand it may be worth putting it on a trailer and bringing it up here. Good luck!!

Bluechev I have seen one of the needle guns at Harbor Freight and have wondered about them for body panels. Wonder if it will warp thinner stuff?

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.