Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Removing Aftermarket Billet Interior Door Handle
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2011, 04:09 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickyardboy
There's no visable set screws on the billet aluminum bezel. This handle is on a '34 Ford coupe glass rod, but it's a generic billet handle that most street rods would use. I just thought that someone may recognize this particular handle, and can give me a clue as to how it's removed. Thank you guys for your input.
Yes, I realize it's a generic aftermarket handle. The handle is not the issue, the issue is what the handle is mounted on. Most handles on older cars are pushed on a splined shaft and have either a pin holding them on (Ford used pins) or a wire spring clip holding them on (GM used clips). This was complicated by a spring behind the door panel that pushed the door panel tight against the back of the door handle. Your problem is what was used for your door handles to be mounted on.

If either of those retainers was used you have to push the door panel back away from the back of the handle to get at it.
If you feel a groove an both sides of the handle, it has a spring clip holding it.

In any case, the handle would be on a splined shaft. If you take out the allen head bolt in the center, the handle should pry off. It may just need more persuasion than what you are using.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 05-01-2011 at 04:16 AM.