Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Interior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/interior/)
-   -   Removing Aftermarket Billet Interior Door Handle (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/removing-aftermarket-billet-interior-door-handle-197545.html)

brickyardboy 04-30-2011 03:00 PM

Removing Aftermarket Billet Interior Door Handle

1 Attachment(s)
I'm having a problem removing my interior passenger door handle. Because I can't pull out the door panel enough to see how this handle is attached to the inside hardware, I can't determine what's holding it on, and thought someone may be familiar with this particular door handle. After removing the cap, I've removed the allen screw in the center, and even the two roll pins (photo) but it still won't budge. Would appreciate anyone's input. Thanks...

cajun1955gmc 04-30-2011 04:55 PM

There should be set screws on the piece that the handle is screw to. The set screws hold it to the spline shaft.

DanTwoLakes 04-30-2011 09:23 PM

What make, model, and year car is the handle installed on?

brickyardboy 04-30-2011 11:07 PM

There's no visable set screws on the billet aluminum bezel. This handle is on a '34 Ford coupe glass rod, but it's a generic billet handle that most street rods would use. I just thought that someone may recognize this particular handle, and can give me a clue as to how it's removed. Thank you guys for your input.

cajun1955gmc 05-01-2011 02:15 AM

Sorry I forget to mention take the handle off first. That bolt holds it on. Once handle is off then the bezel will come off. There is a cylinder under it. That's were your two red lines point two. The cylinder has the set screws. Mine has two set screws.
I hope that helps.

DanTwoLakes 05-01-2011 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brickyardboy
There's no visable set screws on the billet aluminum bezel. This handle is on a '34 Ford coupe glass rod, but it's a generic billet handle that most street rods would use. I just thought that someone may recognize this particular handle, and can give me a clue as to how it's removed. Thank you guys for your input.

Yes, I realize it's a generic aftermarket handle. The handle is not the issue, the issue is what the handle is mounted on. Most handles on older cars are pushed on a splined shaft and have either a pin holding them on (Ford used pins) or a wire spring clip holding them on (GM used clips). This was complicated by a spring behind the door panel that pushed the door panel tight against the back of the door handle. Your problem is what was used for your door handles to be mounted on.

If either of those retainers was used you have to push the door panel back away from the back of the handle to get at it.
If you feel a groove an both sides of the handle, it has a spring clip holding it.

In any case, the handle would be on a splined shaft. If you take out the allen head bolt in the center, the handle should pry off. It may just need more persuasion than what you are using.

brickyardboy 05-01-2011 06:42 AM

Thank you both for your helpful information. I will hit it again later today.

brickyardboy 05-01-2011 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cajun1955gmc
Sorry I forget to mention take the handle off first. That bolt holds it on. Once handle is off then the bezel will come off. There is a cylinder under it. That's were your two red lines point two. The cylinder has the set screws. Mine has two set screws.
I hope that helps.

You're right. The bezel was on really tight, but managed to pry it off, which exposed the two set screws which released the part that slips over the splined shaft. This one threw me because I've used the GM door tool before to slip behind the bezel on other cars and push out the spring clip to release the handle, but this one wouldn't allow any room to push the door panel away from the handle bezel to slip the tool in. Now I can get inside the door to see why the outer handle doesn't open the door. I'm thinking that the return spring is either broken or has fallen off, I'll soon see. Thanks again, guys!