Removing/appling trim + adhesives - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2009, 12:41 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Removing/appling trim + adhesives

I was wondering what the collision shop way to do this is (fast).

I am preparing my Jeep and my friends drift car for painting and I'm having a hard time fighting all the trim and stuff they glued onto these cars. So, can you tell me how a body shop does this stuff?

- On the sides of the Jeep, there are these cheap plastic/rubber 4 inch trim pieces... Those were easy to remove, I just used a heat gun and a screw driver to pry one edge up.

- The horrible pinstripe was so uv baked I couldnt just pull it off (it just keep breaking every 1/2 inch or so), so I ended up using a razor blade scraper to pull it off, which damaged the paint in some areas. How does a body shop remove these without damaging the paint?

- There are these vynil pieces on the side that are like the cheap way I supose they made it "two-tone" that cover the lower portions of the door also.

Allleft this horrible adhesive that I can't remove. I've tried scraping it off with a razor blade scraper, but it didn't work, so I then tried lacquor thinner and that just made it gooey but still wouldn't come off the car.

How do you put these pieces back on the car? Do you paint the pinstrip or use tape? How do you match the pinstripe to the rest of the cars pinstripe if doing a spot repair, or do the colors generally not vary much.

When painting a car, do you remove all the trim held on with that foam double sided tape usually or leave it on and paint over it. If you take it off, do you remove all the adhesive first under the cars trim before painting it?

When you do a overall repaint or even a spot reapair where there is a vynil sticker like "4x4" or " Dakota Sport", do you buy a new one to stick back on or what?

Thanks for any and all help,

-Joe

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2009, 02:50 PM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:

razor blade on a scraper handle works for removing the adhesive crap from the body side moldings
Old 04-06-2009, 12:26 AM

Last photo:

I got a thing at the local auto paint supply place. They called it an eraser. It was basically a rubber wheel with a threaded shaft, like a wire wheel but rubber or something. Chucked it into my drill and it worked like a hot damn removing pin stripes and tough baked on decals, and the glue that held em on.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:04 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,326 Times in 1,150 Posts
The eraser wheel is the way to go. And to go one step further get the proper tool for it. It is a die grinder with a gear reduction and it works MUCH better than using a drill or other tool.

But that is what we use at the shop, almost every bodyman has one, they are the cats meow.

Brian

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.