Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Removing Back Body Panel on Model A/T
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2006, 01:28 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbeam
The part I am replacing is below the back window. I can see quite a few bolts to remove, but It looks like I have to really beat on it to get it loose. I'm wondering if I should take a cold chisel and work my way around the seams to loosen it - or if there is some other trick I should use.
Remember that I am talking Model A - but depending on the year, the construction methods between a T and an A were about the same.

There should be a couple of body supports across that area as well. They should be, as a minimum, loosened on one side tho my preferance would be to remove them so you can get to all of the bolts and while out, cleaned and painted.

To answer your specific question, unless you absolutely have to, don't use a cold chisel. It will tear and distort metal that has to be fixed on the main part of the body before you can do any painting. If you are absolutely sure you have the right replacement piece, find a buddy that has a plasma cutter and cut it out, leaving a couple of inches between the cut and the main body flange. An acetylene torch will transfer too much heat and distort the adjoining body panels. Then you can easily reach in and remove the bolting. Throw them away and order new nuts and bolts from someone like Snyders or if it's going to be a street rod, drill 'em a size over and use a good grade of 1/4-20 with lockwashers

Dave