Hot Rod Forum banner

removing bumper 1964 Impala

8K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  autocol 
#1 ·
Here is the first in what i am sure will be a series of stupid questions in the process of my restoring a 1964 Chevy Impala, and having no idea what i am doing.

Does anyone have any advice for getting the bumper off? I got off the bottom bolts which connect it to the frame (they all snapped in half, by the way), but there are other bolts on the top that connect it to the body. These bolts do not have heads, but are round on top... they connect to nuts on the underside of the bumper, but it is impossible to get a wrench back there. What is the trick to removing them? Not a special tool, i hope.
Here, I'll go snap a pic...:cool:

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Matt.... I do not know about that particualr car, but. Normally the bumper is mounted on the mount brackets, then mounted to the frame. The bolts are usually accessed easilly once the assy is off and on the floor. Very few cars have bolts on the bumper that you can get to witrh it mounted to the car.

#5 ·
Whenever I disassemble something, I look for the easiest and/or quickest way possible. If the bolts to the frame are easier to get to, do those first. You can worry about getting the brackets off of the bumper once the bumper is off. Then your hard to get to bolts will not be so bad. Good luck with your project, it sounds like a nice one. I have too many..:)

#7 ·
Matt, its been a while since I did a 64 Imp, but the bumpers a buggers. Once you get them off, there still are loads of bolts. Front and rear are at least 3 piece bumpers with lots of other pieces. There are several different chrome bumper bolts and you will probably need to replace most of them. Puting them back on is a two man job unless you are good at holding one end up with your foor while doing abs crunches holding the other end with your head while trying to put a bolt in blind with your left hand.

Have fun

Trees

#8 ·
i would definitely take the bumper off by removing the brackets from the car, rather than the bumper from the brackets...

but just so you, the round, "headless" bolts are actually a cover that snaps over the top of a bolt that has a square shank, which is jammed into a square hole in the bumper... so i guess they're more of a stud than a bolt...

undoing them is much easier OFF the car... :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.