Removing camaro rear end - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2013, 08:53 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Removing camaro rear end

Hello all, new to the forum. I am rebuilding a 1968 camaro. I am replacing the leaf springs and 10 bolt with a torque arm and 9". I am doing all this in my garage and don't have a car lift. Being under the car and doing some serious jerking kind of makes me nervous. I am thinking of putting stands on the rear frame rails and then removing the rear bumper and bolting chains to an engine lift for backup.

What do you think? How have you done this before?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2013, 09:45 PM

welcome to the forum.
68 Camaros dont have frames,,,put a support at the rear part or the rear subframes.
Its not an easy job to do on your back on the ground.

Why are you changing out the leaf springs?
Old 05-14-2013, 08:07 AM

Last photo:

I had a friend who could have been crushed when he was underneath his El Camino pulling on suspension bolts so hard, the jackstands holding up the wheel-less car tipped. Just before they went over all the way, he realized it and let go...it slammed back the other way but held. Close one...that was years ago and the guy has had a good life since then but that might-have changed everything.

I suggest that when you have to pull on a wrench like that, brace yourself against the car underbody, not the floor. The force you put into the fastener is thus counteracted and you won't be pulling the car over. If you're doing a lot of work over a period of time, maybe make platforms with criss-crossed wood 4x4s which won't slide on the floor or frame like steel jackstands can, and would have a wider base of support. And, if it makes you feel better to chain the rear of the car to a cherry picker as a safety back-up, do it! I would. Just have it be in a position where it won't just be the next thing to tip.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:16 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,220 Times in 1,076 Posts
Yes, put the jack stands on the "torque box" which on that car is right where the front of the leaf spring mounts to the "frame" rail under the body. If you have quality jack stands and don't have it lifted too high this is just fine. Put a jack under the rear end and unbolt the rear spring shackles drop the rear end down and then slide the rear off the springs rearward.

One very good habit to get into is when you remove the wheels off the car you slide them under it. So if your jack fails, the car falls on the wheels laying under it instead of on you.

Believe me, a heck of a lot more rear ends have been changed out of cars like you are doing it than with a lift, by leaps and bounds more have been done as you are doing it it's no big deal. Just give it the respect it deserves, take your time and think about things before you do it. I know over the years I have had a few close calls just because of out and out stupidity like removing U bolt nuts and realizing that the jack stands are in the wrong place and with a few more turns of the nut the car would have fallen! Yep, we are human and we need to be sure we don't make mistakes while doing such things.

Brian
Old 05-14-2013, 09:37 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

I've always done my Camaro rearend (multiple times!) like Brian described. I keep a floor jack under the differential while I unbolt the rear spring shackles, and then lower the rear and shackles together. After that I remove the U bolts and use the floor jack to pull the rearend out off the springs. It's safer and easier on your body this way, and the jack does most the work.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.