Hot Rod Forum banner

Removing clear coat off Light Frames.

738 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  69 widetrack 
#1 ·
:confused:I am in the process of buffing out the trim on my P/U/. There is a Clear Coat on the Light Frames. I would like to remove this clear coat. Does anyone have an idea on how to do that. I have sanded but it takes much to long to accomplish it by using this method. Any assistance will be appreciated. Thanks.

#2 ·
If this is original clear from 1963 it should be a lacquer clear, which would tell me that lacquer thinner would wash it off quite easily, if it's a 2K clear that somebody applied after to keep the stainless shiny, which I wouldn't understand why somebody would do that but regardless, if you have Carb cleaner, or even brake fluid, Aircraft paint stripper any of those would work...the brake fluid or carb cleaner would take a little longer but you may have that hanging around. Aircraft stripper would take it off in minutes, it's fairly caustic so don't do it at the kitchen table, take it to a well vented area, like the bedroom or turn the fan on in the bathroom, (just kidding)...LOL...some guys even take it out to the garage and have the door open. What are you using to buff the stainless when you have the clear coat taken off?

Oh, by the way, they kinda like if you have any specific questions, to put them in the specific category...this one would be under paint and body but hey, it's your first day and not that big a deal.

Hope this helps.

Ray

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.