Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - removing dirt from wet clear/paint,You gotta try this.
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013, 04:45 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
That does look like a nice tool, we all have used all kinds of goofy stuff for that. Of course for the newbe's who hasn't used something like this this is how you do it, you can't just go out to the middle of a panel with your hand floating out there to grab a tiny hair or bug or something or you will likely end up with a bigger mess than if you left it there.

You need to bridge your arm to be able to keep your hand steady enough to pick the piece out without messing up the surrounding clear or paint. I am using the headlamp on this car which of course isn't always going to be there, but the idea is to go from something adjacent to your painted panel to base your bridge. If you have to simply put a few pieces of wide masking tape over the edge of the adjacent panel that will likely have some overspray on the masking paper. But with your elbow out in the middle of a window that is masked up or something like that you can pull this off.

And Mike, about 1978 at the second shop I ever worked at I had the pleasure of working with a great guy who was head painter and he called a hair in the paint "Dirty hairy" and a bug "Bugsy Malone". I'll never forget that.

Brian
Its funny how some things stick in your head like butyl tape my guy called dum dum which made it hard to order since nobody else called it that...it ook years to get that out of my head..we always made up names for cars like rustang remember the Pinto runabout??? we called it the runabout a week....ahh yes, then theres the ford exploder..you ever go to the ford dealer and order exploder parts?you'll get a look for sure,that one hasnt got out of my head quite yet...and the list goes on and on...
One of the best things about using this is it only has to touch the trash slightly and the trash sticks to it and the needle is so thin it bends before it goes into the clear so even shaky or or unbridged hands it still works better than anything I ever used and I've used everything from common pins to tweezers...All I can say is WOW !!!