Removing lower control arm on 1978 camaro - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2010, 12:06 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Removing lower control arm on 1978 camaro

I need to remove my coil spring to install a spacer under it for the slightly larger tires I have, my question is do i have to remove the lower control arm or just take off the ball joint nut and let it pivot down. I have the external type "strut compressor". I was told I could just let the control arm pivot down on my floor jack with it disconnected from the sprindle. Is this correct?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2010, 12:13 PM

Last photo:

yes i believe that is correct.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:23 PM

The strut compressor hasn't seemed to be able to get on the spring, so with the spring not being compressed I can just put my jack under the ball joint and lower the entire arm down?
Old 05-24-2010, 12:32 PM

Last photo:

youre going to have to get that spring compressed anyways to get it back on . I dont know what spring compressor you have , i would get a spring compressor on it before i start letting it down . Doing it that way with a floor jack can be dangerous, my advice to you would be to try a different spring compressor, i would hate to see you have an accident.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:33 PM

Thanks I'll get one.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:47 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,076 Times in 959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalbluevib
, i would get a spring compressor on it before i start letting it down . Doing it that way with a floor jack can be dangerous.

Let me say Doing it that way with a floor jack can be dangerous X100 that is VERY, VERY dangersous. Those springs have a LOT of force, enough to knock your chin off your head!

And I am thinking you need smaller tires is what you need. Think about it, if your tires are hitting the fender and you raise it up, it will ONLY be clearing the fender when you are going in a straight line without any bumps. Once you are going around a corner with the tire turned out and you hit a bump you are going to cram that tire into the fender.

Brian
Old 05-24-2010, 01:54 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Let me say Doing it that way with a floor jack can be dangerous X100 that is VERY, VERY dangersous. Those springs have a LOT of force, enough to knock your chin off your head!

And I am thinking you need smaller tires is what you need. Think about it, if your tires are hitting the fender and you raise it up, it will ONLY be clearing the fender when you are going in a straight line without any bumps. Once you are going around a corner with the tire turned out and you hit a bump you are going to cram that tire into the fender.

Brian
Brian i agree more than 100%, there are other ways to do it but some things are better off left unsaid.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:11 PM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:

ive always just used a floor jack and on the lift and put a chain through the arm and spring

never needed to compress to install a gm spring.....

ever,..,

maybe i have better luck than some others....

removing the arm is not needed. ive never had to...

gm ones are cake walk

you want a fun one try to do a 80s 90s mustang one

oh boy......

the tool is some $$$$ and i ended up compressing them under the lift arms and using a ton of hose clamps to kepe the spring compressed. then install it and then sawzall all the clamps off

works fine.... use good wide USA made ones though,,, two side by side at 6 spots on the coil and compressing two coils each.,

the ford ones are smaller wire diameter than the gm ones and are way taller free length, too tall to install without a ton of compression, unlike gm ones.

good luck
Old 05-24-2010, 08:51 PM

Last wiki edit: Suspension: designs, shapes, sizes Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Get a spring compressor that fits up inside the spring and hooks over the coils. That is the only type that will compress the spring far enough to enable you to put it back in. Even then it will be tight. Good luck doing it with a spacer underneath. No, you won't have to remove the lower control arm.

Andy
Old 05-25-2010, 08:04 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,076 Times in 959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast68
ive always just used a floor jack and on the lift and put a chain through the arm and spring

never needed to compress to install a gm spring.....

ever,..,

maybe i have better luck than some others....

removing the arm is not needed. ive never had to...

gm ones are cake walk

you want a fun one try to do a 80s 90s mustang one

oh boy......

the tool is some $$$$ and i ended up compressing them under the lift arms and using a ton of hose clamps to kepe the spring compressed. then install it and then sawzall all the clamps off

works fine.... use good wide USA made ones though,,, two side by side at 6 spots on the coil and compressing two coils each.,

the ford ones are smaller wire diameter than the gm ones and are way taller free length, too tall to install without a ton of compression, unlike gm ones.

good luck
Anyone can do as they wish, I am only warning those who may take a post such as yours as an "answer to what they want to hear" and ignore the other advice we have gave them. You know, THAT guy who asks everyone how to do something?

Well, I am here to say that what you have suggested can put you in the hospital. We are not talking "Darn it I scraped my knuckle" kinda damage, we are talking "Mommy, call 911, daddys fingers just got torn off and he is pinned under the car" kind of damage.

Use the right tools, and if you don't have them, don't do the job.

Brian
Old 05-25-2010, 07:35 PM

I used the compressor and removed the control arm, to clean and paint, I reinstalled the spring got the inner arm bolt through, and on the front lower arm when I went to jack it up it slipped up and went farther into the sub frame. Now you can barely see the outer part of the bushing with it jacked up. Can i just wedge a pry bar between the upper part of the arm and the sub frame and push it back out? I gave up for tonight.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:10 PM

I just used a come-a-long and a tree lol, it worked though.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.