Removing Monkeyed up rocker studs (SBC) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2010, 01:18 PM
Boost Retard

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Removing Monkeyed up rocker studs (SBC)

So I got around to removing the push in rocker studs on a set of SBC cast iron heads that I'm messing with (going to mill down the bosses and thread them for screw in studs and guide plates), and not having anything better to do it with I put a rotator upside down over the stud, then a valve retainer or rocker ball over that (instead of the normal socket over it to use as a spacer to pull against), and then tightened a rocker nut to pull it out.

It turned out that one of the studs was bent (I didn't notice), and when the nut started going hard I figured "instead of breaking something I'll go on to the next one and come back to this one later." I went on to the next one, the threads on the nut were slightly monkeyed up and went on to strip the threads on that one.

So now I have two rocker studs with monkeyed up threads that I can't quite figure out how to pull. Anyone have any suggestions?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2010, 03:10 PM

Since you are planning to mill the rocker pedestals, I assume you have a mill of some sort or a seat and guide machine to work with.
In that case, I would just get centered over the stud (after cutting it off) and
drill it out.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:17 PM
9.82 @ 139mph

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Are the threads stripped all the way or just at the point where it started pulling. As I recall there is about one inch of thread on that stud. I would take a die and chase the thread- may even be room for new threads ; then stack your shims so your nut is on the best part of the thread and use plenty of oil to lube. (straighten the bend one )
If all else fails, cut a bit off the problem stud; take one of the old studs that you pulled; cut down a bit and weld to problem stud. Start pulling process.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:34 PM
Boost Retard

Last photo:

One is stripped most of the way, and also has the pile of junk that I'm using as a spacer still on it, the other I could probably cut but I'm not sure that I could get the end of the threads cleaned up well enough to get the thing started.

I would be really shocked if somethign welded to the stud would be strong enough to pull a pushed in stud out, but I suppose I could try.

I have a bridgport, though I'm not sure what would actually cut/drill those studs, they're made of something crazy hard, make grade 8 hardware look wimpy.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:38 PM
Boost Retard

Last photo:

while I'm thinking about it, anyone know what angle the rocker studs are supposed to be at relative to the deck or a good way of figuring out that angle when mounting them down to the mill table?
Old 06-17-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback
One is stripped most of the way, and also has the pile of junk that I'm using as a spacer still on it, the other I could probably cut but I'm not sure that I could get the end of the threads cleaned up well enough to get the thing started.

I would be really shocked if somethign welded to the stud would be strong enough to pull a pushed in stud out, but I suppose I could try.

I have a bridgport, though I'm not sure what would actually cut/drill those studs, they're made of something crazy hard, make grade 8 hardware look wimpy.
I drill them with your basic HSS drills with no problem.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:32 PM

Last photo:

Once the studs ar stripped and no chance of saving them. I usually cut stud off and drill out slug with a bit just undersize of the hole.

Screw in studs are 7/16, so the hole is already to tap size. Just mill studs with end mill on same plane as the stud hole. I use a cutter that stops at the correct depth, so all holes are the same height.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:32 AM

Last journal entry: Hand brake
Last photo:

I've had good luck in removing stucked & stripped studs by welding a new stud on top of the stripped one. Use lots of welding power. Shim up the pull-tool accordingly and try pull it out.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.