Hot Rod Forum banner

Removing as much wiring as possible.

943 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  PHWOARchild 
#1 ·
Ok so I have a 87 Dodge D150 and my ultimate goal over time is to remove as much wiring as possible and make it as straightforward as possible.

Any suggestions or tips?

Also if i were to eventually get a msd 6al setup would this help to be able to remove more wires from it. I hate wires everywhere and want simplicity.

#3 ·
In my '59 Ford, there are a total of 50 wires in the harness kit I got for it. Of the 50, maybe 6-8 are spare circuits. I have wipers, heat and defrost and not much else.

If you want to retain things like power windows, 50 wires won't hack it. Newer cars also have more redundancy built into the electrics.

#4 ·
Is this a street driven truck? If so you will need wipers, turn signals, headlights, tail lights, back up lights, horn, blinkers, heater, starting, charging, and any accessory circuits used to power electric fans or aftermarket ignition boxes.
Adding an aftermarket ignition box will increase the number of wires, not lessen them. You will still need your coil and ignition wires to run the engine.
Rather then going thru the hassle of removing a couple of wires, which is a waste of time, just run them in some nice loom, clean them up, hide them behind fenders or route them a better way. There are many things you can do to make the wires look better. Just removing them is moot as there are still MANY wires needed to make the vehicle function legally on the street
Mark.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.