Removing orange peel from acrylic paint - what do I do? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2006, 11:06 PM
The lean mean donut machine

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Removing orange peel from acrylic paint - what do I do?

I painted my truck with an acrylic type paint (one stage, no clear) last August, and I was not thrilled with the result. It had some pretty noticable orange peel, so I waited about two weeks and tried on a small hidden area to cut and buff to get rid of it. No matter what polish I used, it would remain somewhat dull and would not get that deep glossy shine like it should. I assumed that the paint was not fully cured and that it would not abrade well since it was still relatively soft. It's now been about six months and I plan to try it again now that the paint is fully cured. I would appreciate some suggestions on what to do to get a better result this time. I put three pretty heavy coats on so I have a bit of paint to work with. Should I start with 400 grit with a sanding block and progress to 1500 before buffing with polishing compound, or should I be more aggressive/conservative with the final sanding? Also, what compounds do you recommend I use with this type of paint?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2006, 10:43 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Maggot
I painted my truck with an acrylic type paint (one stage, no clear) last August, and I was not thrilled with the result. It had some pretty noticable orange peel, so I waited about two weeks and tried on a small hidden area to cut and buff to get rid of it. No matter what polish I used, it would remain somewhat dull and would not get that deep glossy shine like it should. I assumed that the paint was not fully cured and that it would not abrade well since it was still relatively soft. It's now been about six months and I plan to try it again now that the paint is fully cured. I would appreciate some suggestions on what to do to get a better result this time. I put three pretty heavy coats on so I have a bit of paint to work with. Should I start with 400 grit with a sanding block and progress to 1500 before buffing with polishing compound, or should I be more aggressive/conservative with the final sanding? Also, what compounds do you recommend I use with this type of paint?
Even with 3 heavy coats, I think you are going to risk going through in spots if you do this. Do you have any paint left over in case you do?

However, this is what I would do:

400 is way too aggressive.
Use 1000 to remove the majority of the orange peel and finish up with 1500.
Use a stream of clean water while block sanding. Use a hard backed block instead of flexible rubber when possible.

Then go to wool pad with 3M Imperial Microfinish compound and final buff with 3M Finesse-It II with another wool pad.

Last edited by roger1; 02-20-2006 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:53 AM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

NO! 400 is way too aggressive

Try starting with 1000 if that is too slow 800 but keep in mind if you go 800 then you have to go to 1000 then 1200 maybe 1500 then To get all the scratches out.

Ask at the paint store but you might have to go to the detailing supply place & they make a special lubricating liquid for wet sanding this keeps you paper clean , lubed & helps the paint not to ball up.

IMO Its worth the money.

I cant remember what exactly its called but I think I have some & it might be the same stuff you would use to "clay a painted surface". I'll check & get back to ya

Some people use dish soap,

TO ME THERE IS NO COMPARISON.

Compound with a good {3M} bonnet & A variable speed polishing wheel not one of those orbital buffers.

I have a Makita polisher/sander.

Then use 3M ''Microfine''& ''Finessit'' polishing compound now this is the important part.

GO SLOW & TAKE YOUR TIME!! don't get in a hurry or even put yourself on a time table.

Also get some wet sanding blocks & the little rubber squeegees .{ I have a few cause I'm always misplacing them}.

One of those water hose nozzles that have all those stupid settings on it ,get one with the FINE MIST settings. So You don't have to get soaked while doing this.

And A decent squirt bottle {for the lube}.
A couple of china markers the opposite color of your car {Ex, white car..black china marker}
Not a sharpie ,or a pencil ,or a crayon, only a china marker

And a good pair od eye goggles & a nuisance mask & maybe a apron.

Clock & grid you car

{starting in one spot going clockwise[or counter] & grid the panel so you don't miss a spot}

Start in one spot I usually star on the R/R 1/4 on the bottom to get a feel for the paint
{the least looked @ spot from the drivers POV} & do a small spot

Wet sand with the 1000, squeegee, look ,wet sand 1500, squeegee, look ,it should be Flat.

If you see some that isn't mark it with the china marker because you won't be able to see it when wet then when its flat then rinse it good dry & polish with the wheel keeping it flat ,clean & moving.

When you have done a test spot then move on to a bigger area ,be careful to go even slower on the edges with the paper & the wheel you can BURN thought the paint SO DAMN QUICK

I hope this helps you out & Im sure I missed something

And I hope I'm not babbling too much.

R

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.