Removing paint with a angle grinder - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2004, 10:12 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Removing paint with a angle grinder

I'm restoring my 65 chevy pickup, and it has at least 6-8 coats of paint. I first tryed using a very small 5" orbit sander and found out very fast that It would take a long time, so then I found out about airplane striper, and it works but not well enough to eat though all the paint. I've had to put on about 8 coats on the hood before I got it all down to metal.I've been reading about using a angle grinder, with mybe a 3M Bristle Disc, does this work really well? and does it get the job done pretty fast? Plus I heard that you and use the angle grinder on rust too. If this is true this is very awsome becuse my bed has a little rust. I have a buddy who has agreed to help so There will be two of use doing the job.

Hope someone can help

thanx so much

PRD

P.S. If the angle grinder is the way to go, What speed should I look into? and what size? 4 1/2 " ?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2004, 09:27 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Grinders/Sanders

I use a 7" industrial Sander grinder for this task..and an industiral size package of sanding disks..I would not use anything any courser than 80 grit myself and use a very lite touch as one of these puppies can grind right down into the metal..

Using a lite touch just enough to get the paint off is all that is needed..be careful not to overheat the panels as this can cause warpage big time..and make lots of extra work getting the body straight again..

Wear a respirator and face proctection as this is a very dusty nasty project..

I use the 4 1/2 in grinder and my die grinder to get into spots that I cannot get to with the big grinder..

This may be a good time to buy an air compressor..5hp/25 gal tank is about the minimum and invest in the air tools.sanders/grinders/die grinders and such. Discounters now have this stuff for very reasonable prices.

Good luck..Lets see some pictures..
Old 07-28-2004, 10:40 AM

hum, I did a google search and couldn't really find a 7" industrial Sander grinder. Is it a larger angle grinder, or maybe a disc sander? If you could post a link to a page that sells them that would be great.

Thanks
PRD
Old 07-28-2004, 01:12 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last photo:

Sanders

I do not have a link right at hand however if you check the Yellow pages under industrial tools or do a google search they will turn up.. I did a google search for 7" Sander Grinder and came up with 36,000 results for these things..

Harbor freight has one tho I am not thrilled with the Harbor freight variety of Power tools..They look like the little 4 1/2' except a lot bigger..

Porter Cable, Makita, Dewalt, Milwaukee among otheres make the electric variety and there are several who make the air style..

Hope it works for you..

Take care
Old 07-28-2004, 01:44 PM

ok, so it's the same thing as 4 1/2 inch angle grinder but instead of having a 4 1/2 inch wheel it has a 7 inch correct?
also I can't budget a air comp right now so I'm gonna have to sick with electric.

Oh one more thing, on average with two guys working with a 7 inch grinder each, about how do you think it might take to sand down around 8 coats of paint on my truck? its a step side long bed too. and I've already got most of the paint off of the hood.
I know everybody moves at difiern't speeds, but what do you think, two days maybe? ( were talking from probly 7:30 in the morn to about 4 or 5 in the eve )

thanks
PRD
Old 07-28-2004, 02:08 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last photo:

Time?

I have not a clue as to just how much you will have to do to get the truck ready..just take your time as it is real possible to overheat the metal and warp a panel..

Without actually seeing the truck in person it is hard to tell how long it might take..

Typically I spent about 2 weeks just cleaning and prepping the parts for a complete restore..and all I did was clean parts before they went to the body shop..

As far as what the sander looks like take some time and look at some of the pics on the internet and take the time to get out to one of the industrial tool supply houses in your area or visit a local body shop and see what they use for this.A litle education goes a long ways in doing this stuff..

Hope this helps..
Old 07-28-2004, 04:09 PM

thanks for the quick reply. about the sander....I'm just wanting to make sure what I get will work, don't want to spend money were it's not needed, In case your wondering, about my last question about how long it might take, I was asking because my truck is in wa state right now and I'm in OR, so it's a little drive up there to work on it, and I don't want to take a lot of time off work. I know probly sounded like some kind of kid saying...."mommy how long till we get there..... " But didn't mean to come across like that. I'm new at this and want to do it right the first time around.

So I think I'll head on over to my local store and check out 7 inch angle grinders. ( just to double check...that is what I need to get right? )

sorry if I'm sounding like an idoit

PRD

did some searching and went to harbor freight.com and found this

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=46237

is this like something I could use?

Last edited by prd; 07-28-2004 at 04:09 PM.
Old 07-28-2004, 04:46 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last photo:

Sander grinders

I did buy one like in the picture and it died way too soon..Soo I am looking at a better quality one next time ...

That is the type I am refering to..they are very aggressive so a lite touch is needed..other wise one an heat the metal and warp it in a heartbeat..

I change disks the instant the old disk loads up as a plugged disk will overheat the metal..so buy disks in the hundred pack..You will use them so it is not a waste to buy that sort of supply in a good quanity..

Under those kinds of conditions it may be wise to invest in some sot of metal prep or conditioner to treat the bare metal so it does not rust while you are doing the rest of the body..

My order of march is to get that puppy up on some jack stands and pressure wash everything in sight..undercarriage and everything.get as much of the crud and dirt off as possible...Limits the dust and dirt going into the spray booth..As well as on you..

Pull the parts and strip them..prime em and put them aside..Spray cans are fine for this..Basically we do not want any more rust showing up..

Then paint each part put it back on the truck and then last paint the outside..

Bout the way it goes for this kind of project..

Mostly it is a lot of sweat..and being a bit organized so tha twhen you arrive you have all the materials and tools at hand so you do not have to stop to go get more..

I have a whole pile of various kinds of wire wheels sanders die grinders and other things that I may use at one time or another..

There you go and good luck..

You could check into some of the articles on spray can detailing From Hot Rod and other car mags on doing the detail parts..

Take Care
Old 07-28-2004, 05:07 PM

thank you so very much, you answered all my questions

PRD

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.