Removing Paint ?without? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2014, 04:22 PM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Removing Paint ?without?

The front bumper on my '62 Fairlane has been painted with rattle can silver paint and before I send it to a rechrome shop I would like to know what the actual bumper looks like. My question is what should I use to remove the silver paint that won't damage the finish on the bumper or remove six layers of skin from my hands????

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2014, 08:22 PM

Last photo:

You can try soaking a rag with lacquer thinner, or worst case try some of that spray on paint remover.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:56 PM

Last journal entry: Paint
Last photo:

Ask the bumper shop if they can dechrome your bumper for you. They do it anyway when they rechrome the bumper. The bumper shop I used charged $15.00 to dechrome a bumper, they just stick it in a tank. I had one dechromed so I could paint it, the new paint is still on the bumper since I had it done years ago.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:53 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,117 Posts
I have to wonder, if you are going to have it rechromed, why bother removing the paint?

If you want to see it's condition as far as the metal it's self, look on the back side. ANY dent or repair to the front will show thru to the back.

If you are thinking the chrome is good enough to leave it alone just wipe off a small area to give you a look. Do it on the top where the chrome would look it's worse. But think about it....there is a reason they painted it. Besides they probably sanded the chrome.

Brian
Old 07-20-2014, 07:10 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I have to wonder, if you are going to have it rechromed, why bother removing the paint?

If you want to see it's condition as far as the metal it's self, look on the back side. ANY dent or repair to the front will show thru to the back.

If you are thinking the chrome is good enough to leave it alone just wipe off a small area to give you a look. Do it on the top where the chrome would look it's worse. But think about it....there is a reason they painted it. Besides they probably sanded the chrome.

Brian

maybe but sometimes.. it could be just a few pit's in it and the p/o didn't want to deal with buffing it and waxing it..

oup from what I've heard this place is very good..
Home

I'd still take a look before you have a heart attack calling and finding out the cost to recrome.. as it's little work.. and cheap enough to do.. and if it's just lite pitting you can then decide of you want to spend the $$ or just 00 wool it, and wax it..
Old 07-20-2014, 02:25 PM

Last photo:

As Gearshead just mentioned - - - - I probably will have it rechromed and I have located a couple of long established and recommended shops, BUT before I do, I would just like to know, for my on peace of mind, that it actually needs it. What the Barrio Bros covered with rattle can silver paint might not be that obtrusive to me and might possible be able to be cleaned up to look decent enuff for my taste. I just HAVE TO KNOW before I take it to a shop and I wanted to know the safest and best way to take a look.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:29 PM

Last photo:

I'll try to get under it and pull the bumper off and get some good pics of front and back to post tomorrow if the body is willing. For what I can see it appears there is NO dents or ruff areas but of course it's been painted.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:41 PM

Last photo:

just go grab some Rustoleum automotive paint stripper (sprayable), you can get it at Wal*Mart, spray it on there, within a few minutes all that paint will be bubbling up. It will not hurt the chrome. I've cleaned up overspray from my car's crappy previous paint job off all my window chrome with paint stripper.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:25 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizer View Post
just go grab some Rustoleum automotive paint stripper (sprayable), you can get it at Wal*Mart, spray it on there, within a few minutes all that paint will be bubbling up. It will not hurt the chrome. I've cleaned up overspray from my car's crappy previous paint job off all my window chrome with paint stripper.
if you do this, tape up the painted areas of car fenders/filler panels/hood spray bombs and wind can put it places you might not want.. I'd remove the bumper first before I sprayed on paint remover.. or at least tape everything around it off.. and do it on a day with almost no wind..
Old 07-21-2014, 07:39 AM

Last photo:

As soon as I can, I will remove the bumper and spray it with Rustoleum Automotive Paint Stripper - - - - I've got the perfect place to spray it without hurting anything or any neighbors stuff. Maybe it will kill some grass for me also?

Thanks gents,
Em

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.