Hot Rod Forum banner

removing/painting over chrome that is pot metal?

14K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  72helpneeded 
#1 ·
Hello
i want to paint some chrome pieces that are pitted and rusted bad. there is no chrome shop around me at all the talk to about this. i have been told to take the pieces to be bead blasted. the pieces are to small to be blasted and the pieces are pot metal so no acid will work on them. i read in an old post in 03' that the chrome could be sanded primed with epoxy and painted again. i have looked on the web everywhere for a way to remove the chrome. it is not stainless it has rust on it. i am stumped on the chrome removal.

i have seen alot of crazy things about using simple green and castrol super clean degreaser to remove chrome on motorcycle parts on the web. i think this might be far from the truth but i don't know. i am going to try and sand the chrome and prime a piece today although im not sure how well this will work. any suggestions other than sending all the pieces off to be decromed?

#4 ·
i just went and hit one of the pieces with a hammer and it shattered. this particular piece is pot metal the other pieces are steel for sure the chrome is flaking off like paint. thanks for the reply sorry i got confused about the metal being rusty and the potmetal just being pitted. can i buy an epoxy primer in a spray can at lowes/home depot? i am wanting to paint both the metal and potmetal the pieces with rustoleum hammered finish paint.
i figure i can use the rustoleum automotive primer for the metal. ive never used an epoxy primer before and the rustoleum doesnt say what kinda paint it is. i am used to painting wood not metal!

#5 ·
No, you can't buy epoxy primer in a spray can.

There is some spray can primer labeled "epoxy", but it is not true epoxy. I tried that stuff for some metal outdoor furniture one time and it is absolute crap.

True epoxy is a 2 part mix. Once mixed, there is a specified time you have to use it. From a few hours to 24 hours or so depending on the brand you use.

Epoxy has to mixed in 2 parts and sprayed on. It can be brushed on, but you won't get a nice smooth finish that way. It is not meant to be sanded like a primer/surfacer but I have done it on small parts and it worked out OK.

Do you have a compressor and spray gun?

Btw, I hope you read that thread Home Brew posted. It's a good one.

#6 ·
i did read the post and saw in that post jsd performance wrote he used etching primer after sanding the bumper and it has lasted 2 years. i know they sell etching primer in a can. i do have a compressor and hvlp but i am at home and wanted to try and to this at home over the weekend instead of having to go to the shop to do it.
i wonder if the etching primer will work ok. i only need a few very small pieces done at the moment the others can wait a few weeks before they are needed. one can would prime all i need to do at the moment 4 times.
i want to put the rustoleum hammered finsh on the pieces because its tough and will hide the pits well.
i saw the etching primer at advance yesterday but still unsure of its bonding quality on a chrome surface.
i will have to experiment with the etching primer tonight and see how durable it turns out tommorow! thanks for the help!!
i never work with metal surfaces always wood so metal painting is new to me thanks for baring with me.

#7 ·
You can do it like you are talking about but it will probably not last that long. Rattle can paint is not going to give you a lasting finish. A year or 2 if your lucky.

If you do it right and use the epoxy primer and an automotive 2 part urethane paint, it would last for many years.

#8 ·
the only hammer finish paint i see is the rustoleum hammered. i havent seen a hammered finsh that is urethane paint you must mean a urethane clear coat? i was thinking that maybe a clear coat would make the paint last longer? maybe there is something differnet i could use that leaves a hammered effect other than truck liner paint but i havent seen it yet.

i want the hammer finsh for the fact it will hide the pitting pretty good. i painted some metal handrails with this stuff last year and its really tough still looks new and this is on the ocean. i dont think the paint will last forever either but its the only thing i can find at the moment to use! if there is another hammered or hiding finish i can use on metal please let me know! i havent painted the parts yet just one sample piece i can throw away if i have to. i want a durable finish and i can wait awhile to find a good way to do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.