Removing raccoon from boat battery compartment. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2009, 11:57 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Removing raccoon from boat battery compartment.

Yes, you read right. I went to get our boat ready to go out fishing with the wife this afternoon and discovered a raccoon had gotten into the battery/fuel tank compartment of our bass boat (see pic below showing where he is). Scared the bejesus out of me when I popped open the lid.

I tried stamping on the hull to scare it out but that only forced him up into a little crawl space at the rear of the compartment. I then proceeded to poke him in the butt with a sharp stick which only succeeded in getting him hissing mad. I did eventually get him to scurry out of THAT hiding place but instead of exiting the boat, he ran right to an even harder to get at place...somewhere behind the gas tank (the tan colored plastic box you see toward the front of the compartment.) That is where he is now holed up. And I can't see any part of his body sticking out anywhere so I don't know exactly where he is behind there.

What we are trying at the moment is my wife's "E.T. Technique"...trying to entice him out with some small pieces of hot dog leading from the compartment up to the dock and then onto dry land.

Anybody got any other ideas? We've read on the web they hate ammonia, so we might try spraying some of that in the general vicinity next. It might stink up the boat for a few days but this one is a real dilemma.

(I know, not exactly an automotive question...but the boat DOES have a internal combustion engine on it.......)

Advertisement

Old 07-19-2009, 12:01 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

They love cat food...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2009, 12:11 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS
They love cat food...
Good tip. Dorothy is opening a can of cat food as I type.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:18 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Pull the plug out of the boat...he will leave when the water gets high enough, LOL.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:27 PM
T-Bucket, Corvette, Mustang

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Try peanut butter.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:36 PM

Last photo:

Good bass fisherman would know this........open can of cat food......use heaviest bass rod (for the biggun's).......bait treble hook with said cat food.......then go coon fishin'. Now the catch is (pun intended) how the hell do you get the coon off the hook w/o get torn to bits........anyway good luck!
Old 07-19-2009, 12:39 PM

Last photo:

Mr. Coon

Mr coon would probaly like dry cat food and they use thier front paws to hold thier food and to wash off their food so put a little bowl of water to....And they like shiny objects Make a ball of foil put a long string and you might be able to lead him out of the boat.....
Old 07-19-2009, 01:03 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

A few years ago, I heard banging around noises in the garage. There was a family of 3 racoon's trying to get into the dry dog food (plastic trash can with snap on lid) they went right past the dry cat food in bowls on the floor.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:25 PM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Highrise
Pull the plug out of the boat...he will leave when the water gets high enough, LOL.
dang, Henry, now I gotta clean my monitor screen again

Try climbing into a deer stand 15 feet off the ground before daylight and finding "Rocky" has set up housekeeping with a litter of little masked-bandits
Old 07-19-2009, 01:36 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

They like Crawdads and if you remember the commercials Wendy's.
Maybe play a radio really loud???
Shane
Old 07-19-2009, 01:44 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Highrise
HH,

You may have intended this in jest but I'm not so sure this isn't the solution. If I pull the two batteries (one of which operates the bilge pump) and flood the compartment half way or better, it may well force him out of his hiding place and out into the open. This area of the boat is water tight AND separated from the rest of the boat. So I think I could flood it.

The hot dogs and cat food have had no effect so far...except for the three neighborhood cats that made an immediate bee-line for our dock. So THAT solution has sort of gone on hold for the moment.

Our next likely approach is one off the web...ammonia soaked rags stuffed as far into the hiding spot as possible. Oh and the kicker is, they claim that the ammonia AND plugging in a radio tuned to one of the all-talk stations will do the trick. (Actually a number of sites have this combination as the recommended method.)

But I'm taking a few minutes here to contemplate HH's suggestion and the full ramifications of "flooding" my boat.

Film at 10:00..........................
Old 07-19-2009, 01:51 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Find a tree limb place it in with the coon and walk away and let him climb out. place some food outside close enough so he can get a good smell on it. Even a good size stick will work . Or you can put on a good pair of welding gloves and go and get him. Cole
Old 07-19-2009, 02:13 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

The cat food won't make him just run out.But he will eat it by tonight..I don't live to close to the wood's,But almost every night I feed my cat,They are under the carport..But if you can flood that hole,It might not take much water to get him out..We catch them here with a pair of heavy welding glove's..(just the little one's)If I was there,I would get him out for you..Do like they do them big cat fish,Stick your hand into the hole,When he bit's down,Just pull him out... No cboy!!!! Im just joking...Don't let him bit you.. Make yourself a stick with a loop on the end..When you put it over his head,Twist the stick,It will tighten up around his neck,Then pull him out..

I would just take him fishing... That might be what he's waiting for..
Old 07-19-2009, 02:53 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS
I would just take him fishing... That might be what he's waiting for..
Ha. Just might be true. I never thought of trolling for muskie with a raccoon. Hey, we got this one trolling with a small french poodle...so why not Rocky Raccoon?

Anyhow, I studied the "flooding" possibility more closely and discovered that rear compartment IS open to the front of the boat (via the rod storage compartments). That also explains how the dang critter got into the fuel well in the first place. I couldn't figure out how or why a raccoon would go to all the effort of getting the lid opened up...thinking that was the only way into the compartment. But now it is clear he jumped into the cockpit of the boat and then just got into the fuel well via one of the rod storage areas (open on both sides of the boat). And then he apparently couldn't find his way back out.

Unfortunately, this discovery also means it would be almost impossible to flood the area and float him out. I'd have to fill the entire boat with water...which I definitely do not want to do.

So for the next phase of "Operation Rocky Raccoon", I have soaked a few rags with ammonia and stuffed them as far into the area in back of the fuel tank as I could. AND I stuck a radio down in the fuel well tuned to a talk radio station. I'm just going to leave it that way for tonight and hopefully drive him off the premises.

The big problem tomorrow will be to determine for certain if he's gone. From my inspection this afternoon, there are a lot of nooks and crannies between the hull and the interior of the boat...just like with most bass boats. Many of these areas are filled with flotation insulation, but many are just voids. And a critter could get into any one of them and be impossible to see. Interestingly, I think Buster will probably be a help with this. He practically goes on point when I take him down to the boat now, so I'm pretty sure he is detecting that there is a critter on board. I'll let him loose on the boat tomorrow and see how he reacts. If he goes crazy, I'm figuring the thing is still hidden out somewhere.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:08 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Cboy, If you can and have a big enough dip-net dip him out pack him off and let him go, that is if he is in a spot you can reach him, JMO. Good luck however you go about getting that critter out of your boat. . You could call animal control and let them get him out. Cole

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.