Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Removing and reinstalling a door skin
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2012, 05:08 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Here's what I've got to fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swvalcon View Post
When I closed my bodyshop back in the late 80's I threw away a brand new drivers door for a pinto. Still kicking my butt. Really should have saved it.
Shame to have thrown it away because I'll guarantee there's someone out there who could use it. My driver's side door needs minimal work luckily, the right one on the car is rotted pretty bad however (with almost no rust on the surrounding body). This one is a lot cleaner than the one on the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale View Post
I copied a door skin too years a go, and haven't seen it since I've moved twice. I forget where i saw it being used. I started with a steel block, I think about 1 X 1 by 2 in long, I cut a slot 3./4 deep length wise just wide enough to slip over a door edge . I rounded the edges by slipping the slot carefully over the back side of my 6 X 48 belt sander and carefully deburring the edges. I drilled a couple 1/2 in holes to intersect the slot. Then I cut 1/4 and 3/16 slots 90* to the long slot. The next part is to take a couple old screwdriver, that fits the short slot, sharpen the end then heat it up and bend it to 90*. You slip the tool over the door edge , then hook the screwdriver blade edge on the edge and pry back, that lifts the edge of the skin, work along the door to bring the edge up. That tool would work where the tile nippers wouldn't fit.
I'm having trouble trying to picture this, any chance you can take a photo of the tool? It sounds like it might be more suitable with the little amount of room I have.

This one that John long linked to seems like it might not fit, but I could probably make one that would work in the tight space I have.
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/atta...p;d=1339970760