Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Removing-Reinstalling Valve Springs - Help
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2007, 08:38 AM
72NOVA454

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Removing-Reinstalling Valve Springs - Help

guys help

I may need to do a valve spring swap on my BBC. I've never done this. The engine is installed in my car. I am not pulling the engine out.

questions:

1) must I remove the heads from the engine or can I leave them in place. I'd really like to avoid removing the heads if possible, and leave them in place while the springs are replaced.

2) if I can leave the heads installed - how do I prevent the valves from falling into the cylinders when the springs/retainers are removed

3) how do I measure the installed spring height for the new valves - how do I know how much to shim them

4) which spring compressor removal tools are best for my application. are there some that will work with the heads installed on the motor.

5) the springs and hardware were installed 2 years ago and have less than 500 miles on the. can I reuse the retainers/locks or get new ones

6) am I in way over my head and bring them to my engine builder shop and have them do it instead of me - or is that not necessary. I'm very handy and good at working on cars but have never done valve springs.

thanks

Lee