removing a sm465 trans - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2013, 03:19 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

removing a sm465 trans

I had almost all my questions answered on my other thread but it was moved somwhere else, anyways so here are the quick questions i need to know before i undo the last few bolts holding trans on.
It's a sm465 4speed, 2wd on a 84c20

1. So when i unbolt the crossmember will trans move any if i have my jack supporting the bellhousing and tranny is still mounted to bell housing?

2. when removing trans after un bolting it will the input shaft hurt anything if it moves slightly right/left some on accident if it happens and can i lower jack thats under the trans an inch or two then lower the jack holding the bellhousing an inch or two untill the shifter hole covers floor pan, or should i just remove cross member and lower the trans while still bolted to bellhousing untill its top is clear then pull the transmission straight back out?

Also alot of my questions were answered by RWENUTS before someone moved my last thread so im good on everything else. Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2013, 03:28 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

tranny removal

It's best to install longer bolts or studs after removing the factory ones to let the trans move Straight back. , if you pull it back and it drops , it can damage the clutch disc. For re installation ,make some guide studs by cutting the heads off longer bolts and cutting screwdriver slots in the end by putting 2 or 3 hack saw blades in the saw frame, or use vice grips to tighten them into the bell housing.If you are not ready to pull the trans after taking out the factory bolts put in a longer bolt. some will all most fall out others will take some work with a pry bar, a little on each side to get it away from the bell.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:50 PM

Last photo:

Ok i can use the trick with cutting heads of longer bolts to get it mounted back up but, i cant put much longer bolts in it when seperating it from bell because there isnt enogh room to even get a socket on the bolts i had to use a wrench to loosen them up.
So when i am backing the trans out of bell it cant move like at all except straight back, or down if the bellhousing is lowered to the same?

I dont have a tranny jack so im going to be using a little wagon type cart i have and just put a jack under its floor to lower and raise it up some, but does the trans need support on its sides or will the carts flat floor keep it from turning if i go really slow?
Old 08-20-2013, 03:54 PM

Last photo:

Ok i see what you meant, i could put slightly longer ones on then once trans is like 2inches back remove them but im going to sorta just build a floor ontop of carts floor that fits the bottom of transmissions curves, like 2ft long and few inches long chunks of wood and small chunks of like 2in by 4inch where the trans has a hump then floor should have support as if trans was laying on the ground rite or is it top heavy?
Old 08-20-2013, 04:04 PM

rachet strap

I use rachet straps to hold where I want it , and sometimes one from frame rail to frame rail for a safety measure if it isn't on a hoist with the trans jack. At my age I can't squeeze 300 lbs on the bathroom scale or lift hay bales all day so I look for easier methods. AND BE SAFE! If it slips where are your fingers?
Old 08-20-2013, 04:40 PM

Last photo:

Ok thanks for advice i will use a ratchet strap on back and front. I just un bolted crossmember and removed dist cap last night, and i have a jack under bell housing and i lowered it which lowers entire motor to trans like i wanted so i could clear shifters mounting hole on floor BUT after lowering so much the jack stops supporting it and i can remove jack and it all stays at that height and doesnt lower anymore and shifter still hasnt cleared it by about 2inch maybe 1. Now im thinking of cutting into the floor straight back maybe 6inches but then i have to remove plastic floor carpet that is 1 big piece, and the bench seat then wait for my dads jig saw to charge so is there something im missing as i know you arent supposed to have to cut into the floor pans... and mine doesnt have the hump that un bolts like some do, thanks
Old 08-20-2013, 04:54 PM

Last photo:

Oh and i have trans in 2nd gear when i removed shifter as i was told then it will align back up easier, should i have it in neuatral or any specific gear, i might be replacing with another 465 trans if this one is bad so does it matter?
Old 08-20-2013, 07:51 PM

front check

Be sure to check out the front of the engine, fan, hoses, etc. when the engine comes down for things hitting. etc.
re-installation
some times you are lucky and it will go straight in , usually I have the trans in gear and have to turn the shaft a bit to get the splines on the clutch to line up.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:19 PM

Last photo:

Ok, and i feel like an idiot but when i was lowering jack i had a pice of wood near back of trans incase the jack failed or something anyways when i went back out there i moved it and now it lowers enough for shifter to clear the floor, now im just picturing removing it all and how once its out and on that cart how ill get it out from under truck and my other one back. Might just use are tractor fwith front end loader
Old 08-21-2013, 01:40 AM

Last photo:

I got the tansmission out, which was super easy with a motorcycle jack that has like a squarish part that comes up, with alot of wood shaped to fit tranny?

So after pulling it i noticed that there was a ring thing hanging on shaft and i will upload a picture of it, in pic you cant tell but in one of the little groves is a little ball like a BB and im guessing there were more and it is some kind of bearing ring isnt it?
Oh and stupid me but i meant to push brake pedal down but did the clutch pedal and then the throwout bearing flew off (yay) so i checked the ears on the arm that holds TB and they look fine.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:14 AM

Last photo:

the picture, also throwout bearing doesnt look the same as my new one, the one side doesnt have the silver ring thing like the new one does, then the opposite side of old one doesnt have the same width as the new one does but inside diameter is the same on both so do the other two things matter?

UPDATE: The old throw out bearing looks like it had a bearing in the spot where the silver ring part is, i think this because i can see a little part of a ring type bearing stuck on a little spot. So basicaly the other side has shorer length then new one has and also old one has a little slot as shown in picture but new one doesnt?????
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	securedownloadsw2w2.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	351.1 KB
ID:	76835   Click image for larger version

Name:	securedownloadmnmsmsm.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	432.0 KB
ID:	76836   Click image for larger version

Name:	securedownloadmmnss.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	359.6 KB
ID:	76837  
Old 08-21-2013, 07:04 AM

Last photo:

?????
Old 08-22-2013, 11:31 PM

Last photo:

So can anyone answer questions in post #11 and #10 ???
Old 08-23-2013, 04:54 AM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

The new bearing should be fine.
It may be a part that can be used in several different cars.

I don't envy you pulling that trans out---that's a heavy sucker.
Last time mine was out (79 C-10) was in 94 and that truck will go to the junkyard before I pull it again.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:26 AM

which side ?

some throw out bearings have a transmission side and clutch side, backwards and they don't last very long.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.